• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

The Nightmare called TheNYNoc.com, STAY AWAY FROM THEM AT ALL COST!

build-a-host

321Hosted.com
NLC
I am here to warn all of you about a web hosting company that you should watch out for. Heres the short story. TheNYNoc.com has shut down my VPS saying that it overloaded ALL other VPS's. How does that happen? Anyway, they told me they would give me 48 hours to get backups, they gave me 6hrs and shut it off and will not allow me to get backups! Do Not Trust TheNYNoc.com with your websites! You'll loose it all if you're not very carefull!

And here is the whole story so that you can get all the details.

On Dec 10th of 2007, I got a deal on the VPS-1 package at http://www.thenynoc.com. It was all setup fast, and at first Andy was always willing to help. The server was running fast, the uptime was great over a 3 - 4 week period, and then it all went down hill from there!

On Jan. 28th my VPS began to run VERY slow. I posted a ticket and Andy respoded saying that a lot of nodes were extremely overloaded/down. 3 days later, after a lot of up and down server response, it finally crashed on Jan 31st. At this same time, other people were posting here and here reporting downtime.

The servers came back up after HOURS of downtime, but mine never ran the same after the 28th. It was constantly overload at a 6 or higher. If I would ask Andy about it he would simply say, the servers are unmanaged, you'll have to figure it out.

I tried for a couple of days to figure out what the problem was, and I had 2 server admins look at my VPS. Both of them said that it was their opinion that they (thenynoc) moved servers and forgot to give me any of the CPU. So just running MySQL and HTTPD was overloading the server! There were no high running processes showing up when I check in WHM (root), or in SSH with top -c. You can see all of the process info here. I posted it on Jan 4th trying to get help from other people, since Andy wouldn't help!

On Jan 5th, after 2 or 3 days of having no idea what was going on with my VPS, I posted again in a thread at WHT (post #49) about TheNYNoc's massive downtine, asking if anyone else was getting slow server responses from them. Finally Rob replies to that thread and say's that it is my VPS overloading everything and causing other VPS's to overload and crash. He said he found some file in my tmp directory and deleted it. Then replied to a ticket saying that the server was running fine, and he'd keep an eye on it. The load was at a 6 at the same time he posted it! Whatever he did (didn't do) wasn't the problem. I have 2 problems with this:

First of all, isn't the point of a VPS, so you don't have to worry about what other people do on the server since you are supposed to be guaranteed a certain amount of resources, virtual PRIVATE server?
Secondly, my problem started on the 28th of Jan, and it takes them 7 days to even look at it to see whats up? If I had a lot of servers and I thought one of them was causing all of them to crash, I would be trying to figure out which one it is and how to fix it the day it started!

On the 6th I told Andy that I could not use the VPS in the shape it was in. Neither he or Rob would listen to me and even CHECK to see if my VPS was getting and of the CPU. Anyway, I told him to give me 48 hours to get backups of all of my websites and my clients websites, and then he could shut it off, that was at 10:57 AM. At 4:59 PM Rob replies and says they disabled my VPS because it was overloading everyone else (while my backups were running!). Again, isn't that the point to a VPS, so you get x amount regardless of what other accounts do? So I got 6 hours instead of 48!

06 Feb 2008 08:46 PM, I posted asking them to enable the VPS so I could start trying to get backups again. I was going to be pulling them from a server with a load of 10+, so it was going to take a while!

07 Feb 2008 11:56 AM, Andy turns on the VPS.

07 Feb 2008 04:25 PM Andy tells me he has to turn my VPS off because its overloading the server. That was the last time the server was turned on.

I asked if he could get me a backup of the whole server. He got me a backup, but it wouldn't work. I couldn't download it because the server was so overloaded. I told him about that and never got a response. That was on the 6th, and it was the last time I've heard from Andy.

08 Feb 2008 02:43 AM I finally offer to pay to get the backups. An hour later Rob asks me which accounts, and says he can get the public_html and databases.

Thats the last I have heard from them. I have submitted to the ticket 6 times now and haven't heard back from them so I guess they are just going to screw me out of my data, and a couple of my clients! That is MONTHS of work, gone! I have atatched a txt file which contains the entire ticket starting from the 31st, up till now. They say they do daily backups, so what is the problem, I just don't understand why they are not letting me get the backups!

One of my clients is going to be fileing a lawsuit against them for the loss of data, and I will most likely do the same. She was going to file against me, but I gave her access to the support ticket so she could see that I have been doing all I can do to get the backups, they just won't give them to me and won't help me to get them! In my opinion, what they have done is basicly stolen my data! If any of you who read this know the right people to contact about things like this, please let me know. I will be speaking with a lawyer, but I am interested in any suggestions you may have.

Sorry I ended up writing a book. This has been a NIGHTMARE! Whatever you do, DO NOT trust TheNYNoc.com with your website(s) if you care anything about them! And I know a lot of people will ask what domain I had hosted with them so here they are:

XL7.us
build-a-host.com
tnmissing.org

Those are just a couple of the ones I lost to TheNYNoc!

Attachments

• thenynoc.txt
    20.4 KB · Views: 11
If I'm not mistaken (please tell me if i'm wrong) NetxServers.com & SellWHM.com are a part/division of TheNYNoc... Is that right?

If I'm not mistaken (please tell me if i'm wrong) NetxServers.com & SellWHM.com are a part/division of TheNYNoc... Is that right?

150% wrong.

Time for my horror story :D

SellWHM.com decided to close down because of financial problems with the owner Ralph, I didn't want to see all the customers go without hosting, So I offered a free Dedicated Server. The plan was to take the backups off the VPS that was with TheNYNoc and move them to the dedicated server. Now this was fine, And the VPS was running great so we started to backup to an FTP file on my hosting server USA1 (Nothing to do with TheNYNoc). About 1 hour into the backup, The VPS shut itself off and stopped the backup. I thought this was because the VPS had 280 accounts on it, And running shoutcast, So I disabled all services except FTP and SSH... I started the backup again and the VPS shut down again about 10mins later, We couldn't reboot it as HyperVM was giving us an error. I submitted a ticket with TheNYNoc telling them about this and they rebooted the main server... The VPS was fine after that. I started the backup and went to bed. The next morning when I woke up, The backup had once again stopped with an error. The VPS was down, So I went into HyperVM to reboot it, But the VPS was being Migrated... We weren't told about this or given any notice, So I submitted yet another ticket with TheNYNoc. Andy replied telling me he had no idea how long it would take to transfer it all... There was nothing really we could do at that stage except wait. About 24 hours later, It was back, But HyperVM kept timing out whenever we tried to do anything. We couldn't SSH it as the VPS was down. About 2 hours later, We were able to get into HyperVM and boot the VPS, But it crashed almost straight away... I had to go out at the time, So I left it. When I got back, I couldn't get in to HyperVM with the user/pass. I submitted a support ticket and was told that there was a huge password problem on the main node and it wouldn't be fixed for about 12 hours and LXLabs staff were working on it. Once again, Nothing we could do so we put up with it. When we got in 24 hours later, It would boot but then crash again. We found the problem. It had been allocated 200MHZ CPU... It wasn't even enough to boot all the services properly. I submitted another ticket and haven't heard from them since (12 days we've been waiting). We have pretty much given up now.

The morel of this story is STAY AWAY FROM THENYNOC!!!!!! :devious2:

The NY NOC was actually one of my choices for a data center to house my racks a while ago, good thing I decided against that.

I think hes talking about the fact that the OP has posted the same thread on almost every major hosting forum around..

Yes I do, I plan on posting this on every forum I can find. So far I have posted it on about 35 forums.

NetX, thats funny, they told me it wasn't a CPU limit problem because that isn't possible supposedly. Now you say you had the exact same problem!

These guys should be ashamed of themselves for the way they treat their clients!

Agreed. Multiple people have posted the same problem as you.

PS: I would love to see what the issue is... maybe you can use one of our VPS (I will give it to you free) for testing purposes to see indeed what the error is or whether or not said company simply couldn't manage you well enough.

Last edited:
I never got any of the backups, all the data is lost. So if there was something on the server at that point, I wouldn't be able to tell now.

If you look at the posts I made on WHT (the links are in the 1st post) you can see the CPU usage at the time. It was very low.

Hello,

I am aware of thenynoc's horrid practices..

A company that was in startup phase that I was investing in, was reselling the servers, and had Andy an sales rep of the company having access to the support/billing to assist clients...

However they stole the largest client offered him reseller rates (whats up with that eh?)..

Shortly there after I also invested some funds into an company, who is now sold and is selling there own servers that are fully owned (however this part of the story is from 6 months ago). The was selling servers from them at a higher markup... Well they faced 14 days of downtime (appox) and they said well sorry, but were not giving you any credit, we would go broke if we did that...

So yea there a nasty company.. I would warn all customers that are with them to get out of there ASAP... Mods may know the company name, however I will not post it here, as I do not want it to become affected during the lawsuit that is currently pending for the credit of a month that they were screwed outta.

Hello,

I am aware of thenynoc's horrid practices..

A company that was in startup phase that I was investing in, was reselling the servers, and had Andy an sales rep of the company having access to the support/billing to assist clients...

However they stole the largest client offered him reseller rates (whats up with that eh?)..

Shortly there after I also invested some funds into an company, who is now sold and is selling there own servers that are fully owned (however this part of the story is from 6 months ago). The was selling servers from them at a higher markup... Well they faced 14 days of downtime (appox) and they said well sorry, but were not giving you any credit, we would go broke if we did that...

So yea there a nasty company.. I would warn all customers that are with them to get out of there ASAP... Mods may know the company name, however I will not post it here, as I do not want it to become affected during the lawsuit that is currently pending for the credit of a month that they were screwed outta.

I am aware of parts of this somewhat garbled (after a long day) story first hand. I am not amused by this situation at all either.. I know one of the parties involved quite well. He is a friend as well as a business partner, and he was had badly from what I can tell.

LSC, I think you know who I am, so drop me a note anytime on this situation, ok?

I have never read this until now.....at first I was grabyourhosting.com and then sellwhm.com I got f****ed over bad! Excuse my language but I had 280 accounts on a VPS and lost everything! All of my work gone in an instant. The only reason why I couldn't afford to move to another server is due to the fact that I trusted thenynoc.com They couldn't fix my server what so ever! I had to quit hosting for good. Everybody demanded a refund and I was forced to close due to the lack of funds. I have been f****ed over many times! Its not just my fault! Its my bad choice of providers......I put my heart into sellwhm.com and you should of read the post on digital point...everybody thinks that its my fault and I forced the idea to quit web hosting. That is absurd and I felt like crying....I know its a server but to me it was more than that!

Back