• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Three types of failed FWP's

Koolguy

There are three types of failed fwp's:

1. Crappy investor backed hosts

- have hardly any features
- strange ads
- many hundreds of sites per server

2. FWP running on 13yr old's home computer with 56k/dsl/cable

- extremely slow
- usually has more features then #1
- down alot

3. FWP with too many features, thus becomes swamped with traffic and users

- offers more features then most paid hosts
- limited ads
- the kind of FWP that you would really like to see succeed

Bah! Your secret site is a Clickheretofind revenue carp. Also, you can't get any revenue from no ads, you will not survive with no money.

Originally posted by webGutter
I shall survive. I'll teach you! I'll teach all of you!

Maybe.

Due to constant server abuse we no longer offer users a personal cgi-bin or FTP access. Please check out our

cool stuff section for remotely hosted CGI scripts.

NO FTP
HHuuuu I HAve a 4 MB site with about 900+ file and You no ftp i dont think SO
i Dont what to spend ll day uploading from a browser + Not evern CGI for all that time spent uploading from the browser

I think ill stick with my banners
i get free
cgi
mysql
50mb
php4
amd a lot more the only thing you can say you have good is no banners

BUT IS THAT WORTH THE TRUBLE ??????

O Ya Youll survive With No Members
And In The End You Will Have wasted Your Time

[Edited by danialsmith on 02-01-2001 at 12:19 AM]

The strange thing is my ad-free lame hosting site is about 60% paid for by its sponsors. I must have some really nice users who keep clicking the banners/text links on the main pages.

I'd be overjoyed if I reached the point where the server was paid for by the sponsor.

The strange thing is my ad-free lame hosting site is about 60% paid for by its sponsors.

So you are running a 40% loss!!!! how long do you expect to keep this up!!!

Your headed straight for the Failed FWP's list....

Sites like yours are actually bad for the business!!! You may offer better deals than the other FWP's with your no-banners deal but i tell you now that you will be gone in about 3-6 months if u keep up that 40% loss!

How are the real free hosts meant to compete with ppl offering yours services. I think that is why so many fail. Because its quite easy to setup a free web host but to set up a good one is very hard. People like webGutter offer a service that is not feasible and the competing hosts natually compete and bettering the deals which is killing them.

mine didnt fail - I got a job and couldnt dedicate enough time to my users. Kinda good that i shut since Webnetics were i was based went out of business.

We must also remember that just because an idea didn't work out it doesn't mean that we failed. We usually leave such situations a lot smarter. And, if we want to try again, we'll do a lot better the next time.

Besides, for webGutter (an admitted test project) I can't complain. Since all us no-ad FWP's are bound to fail, I should start working on something with ads. Right? Right! :)

We must also remember that just because an idea didn't work out it doesn't mean that we failed. We usually leave such situations a lot smarter. And, if we want to try again, we'll do a lot better the next time.

Exactly. This is my third attempt at an online venture and so far it is more than twice as successful as the first two combined :).

That's good to hear. I'm probably going to try something totally new in the near future and this time I know how to properly go about it.

How many users are you up to anyway?

from webgutter.com:

We all know the problem services that offer "free" hosting -- ADS!

What does that mean? I'm not even going to venture a guess.

"ADS" is the nickname for a ghost named Bob that haunts every free web page service on the net. Fortunately, he doesn't haunt webGutter because our service sucks so badly.

Waazzzupp!!

hey webgutter nice webserivce i took the liberty of clicking the banner of support once :)

Your free service rules since I dont want u going out of business since i wanna put a business site up on your service ill be sure to click the banner frequently :)

might i add your page loads just as quickly on my computer if not quicker then aol.com (thats a good thing!)

i spent like 4 hours looking thru those long listings of web space providers on this site and the best no ad one was right here in the message board... oh well atleast i found something i can work with.

say how many more clicks do u need to pay for your overhead i got some time on my hands...
i will probably even put one of those pay banners that pay you on my site to help even more. i think u might need the help since my site will be for a flea market with seperate pages under the main one for each store... it will probably bring a bunch more traffic.

just wondering what are u using for server connection? please dont tell me its cable or dsl... thats going to go bad with lots of traffic...

i got some good ideas for your webhosting
1) offer links to those free companies like fortunecity.com does like those free everything under the sun tools for your site places - just a thought
2) offer a free offline web editor one of those good freeware ones for instance to help first time users.
3) also i suggest periodically checking the sites to make sure there not violating ToS if you got warez stuff being downloaded by mass users it will hurt your resources.

anywayz good luck with da free service...

[Edited by Gamepro86X on 02-01-2001 at 09:31 PM]

Back