• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Time to rebuild my host spread

Board Update Feb2012

Some new stuff here:

Elsewhere I decided on a ruthless overhaul of my site design. Y'all know that for years my shell site was just a placeholder for the study. Now when it came time to write articles I stumbled upon something I like better.

RLS Hosting has been removed. They are pleasant enough, but I am on a special coupon, they are not a free host. The sinker has been that they have had a couple of bad outages that shouldn't happen to a Paid company when most/all of my free host winners were all up.

http://www.freevoteusa.com/notes/free_web_hosts_29.html

For those interested, a prototype of the new site style is here now:
http://www.freevoteusa.com/index.html

You can drag the divider bar to resize things.

--Tao

Blip on IsMyWebsite

Okay, here is some rough news...

IsMyWebsite, long contender for the top couple of spots, seems to be down.

I haven't paid attention for a couple of days, so I don't know how long it's been. Out of protocol, I have to assume the shortest duration possible, a few hours, but it could have been a few days by now.

More notes to follow.

Looks like they're down completely Tao, did a few checks and it don't look to good :(

That's a real pity. They deserved their place, because they were up so long.

"Real" businesses aren't necessarily guaranteed to stay put for years either, so by no means does IMW deserve a snide remark.

I'll redo the board in a few days.

From the looks of it, he's lost both of his nameservers. Dunno if we'll get a message from him on here soon, but it does indeed look very bad.

Apparently so! So it counts as a blip, but it's not as cut and dry as it seemed.
can someone post a tech update? (new nameservers?)

IP's Owner Usage
174.121.11.252 theplanet.com Site
188.241.114.249 Romania somewhere NS1
184.75.248.247 intovps.com NS2

Last edited:
good topics, could I know the progress of your plan ?

Sure. My study is complete. The winners are Seraphim Labs, Decker Services (different from the Decker Username on here!), cWahi, and IsMyWebsite. Now it's just Maintenance mode verifying that those providers are still up.

Another/Final RLS Hosting Blip

I am getting a Blip on RLS Hosting.

It seem to go all the way to the top of their site.

While they were in the second section with fewer reporting rules, they were in fact a Paid host, so they need to be held to higher standards. We'll see how things develop in the next few hours / days.

I'm getting another blip from RLS again. I'll admit, I haven't monitored them as tightly this last couple of months because I changed some of my design over to rely more heavily on my winners.

But again the blip goes all the way to the top, so while I might retain my account with them for testing purposes, I think I need to pull them off the recommendation list. (I might have said that before, I'm getting forgetful!)

cWahi outage!

Damn, this is news. cWahi, one of the long running top two, is blipping on me. One time a while ago they did suffer an attack, so I will give them a few days to see what happens.

Edit: They seem to be back, so maybe that was maintenance or a technical blip.

Last edited:
Damn, this is news. cWahi, one of the long running top two, is blipping on me. One time a while ago they did suffer an attack, so I will give them a few days to see what happens.

Edit: They seem to be back, so maybe that was maintenance or a technical blip.

And another blip again today. So we'll have to see how they do over the weekend.

And another blip again today. So we'll have to see how they do over the weekend.

And they're back, and probably have been for some time -I wasn't really timing things.

So overall, I don't think they're in too much trouble, these sound like minor things.

I'm not sure I'd call two outages in a matter of days "minor things", but I guess it just depends on how long they lasted.

Hi wswd.

Both times the outages seemed to be fairly short, maybe even under half an hour. So I didn't want to completely sweep them under the rug. But "how long they lasted", they have been rock solid for my entire study except one DDOS attempt on them last year. I checked briefly and didn't see any big reports.

Their overall company at the Crosswinds level has been up for some 10 years or more and the cWahi free brand I think dates to about 2006. So by any sense on the rating scale I use, they are doing fine.

cWahi Data Breach

cWahi got hacked, and many users including me had their entire files wiped! So that's unfortunate. Not sure it's enough to completely kick them off the chart, but it's certainly a red mark against them. (Remember this is a company durability site, manager issues are a different metric.)

Not sure it's enough to completely kick them off the chart, but it's certainly a red mark against them.

They can't handle basic server security, and it's not enough to knock them off the chart? Great news for some of the crappy hosts out there! ;)

They can't handle basic server security, and it's not enough to knock them off the chart? Great news for some of the crappy hosts out there! ;)

I'm so/so on this. It depends on how they were actually hacked, but if it was over something stupid like insecure passwords/etc then yes they should be removed from the list.

Back