• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Top 10 Script

Canuckkev

Doctor Hexagon
NLC
I know this topic doesn't get many replies, but I was hoping someone knows of a perl script that allows visitors to rate certain things from a 1-10 drop down menu, then display all the results on a page. Anybody know of something like this?

I tried heavily editing a similar script, but decided that was not a good idea after I almost crashed gcsnet.net's server. They said I was using 95% of the server's resources. Hell, the data file it was supposed to be writing was about 157 MB when I finally stopped the script. So I figure I better leave the coding as it is from now on.

Trade? As in another CGI script? I've custom made a image gallery viewing scipt that has lots of features, and stuff. Would you want that? What kind of trade did you have in mind?

157 MB!? That's a HEAVY drop down menu! :) Apparentley your script was working. Can't you just modify it a bit? I bet there's just something little missing...

---
If you just want to make a loop you can use another language for that. Maybe that's better!?

All the stats were being stored, but for some reason, on the list of rankings, only the no. 1 spot was listed. It had correct details though. And, the no. 1 spot's data file was first alphabetically. If I deleted that data file, the next listed data file would be displayed in the no 1 spot. This is probably because the script is supposed to use a count file, the adds 1 every time a new member signs up. But I edited it so that the member name(which is the name of the data file, and a hidden input in the submit form) is not a numeric value that is 1 higher than the last user to sign up. I made it so any name could be chosen. This was a must because the script would be used off cgi generated pages, and the member name variable would have to be called by that scipt, and can not be a hard coded value. BTW, if you were wondering why it's a "member name" it's because this scipt was intended to be a top sites script, that uses a 1-10 rating system, not in/out hits. Anyways, if anyone else wants to try this script, it's located here: http://www.cgi-factory.com/rankingsystem/index.shtml

Back