• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Uninstalling Norton Internet Security requiring CD?

Agum

Hey all,
you guys are all pretty helpful with the weird computer troubles I post here from time to time.... so here's one more :p
I'm asking this for a friend actually. She has Norton Internet Security that came with her computer when she got it (I hope I remember right that's Internet Security not Anti-Virus..). She's trying to uninstall it (because it's a trial version and it expired I believe) but it says it requires the installation CD to do so. She said she was sure that when she bought the computer it didn't have the NIS CD (among the recovery discs and everything). Any ideas how else can you uninstall it? Kinda don't know what to search for in google to find an answer...
Thanks!

I've used NAV and NIS for years and I've never been asked for the CD to uninstall it. It's possibly a wierd system build thing to do with the manufacturers build.

Unless a good regedit session is a possibility try and find someone with a recent retail copy and run setup, it should give the option to remove the previous version or at least install fully then just remove it as usual.

Actually, that's the problem she has... she has the retail copy now and is trying to install it but it says uninstall the the trial one first. But uninstalling the trial one requires a CD which she doesn't have.

:eek2: is she using ADD/REMOVE form control panel if so is there an uninstall option in the NIS group off the start menu?

Stupid me I forgot to check the Norton web site until I hit a search result on google that actually returned it... Although this is not exactly the same thing:
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPOR...&ExpandSection=4.4.2,4.4.1&Src=#_Section4.4.2

I was wondering do you think the manual uninstallation listed there would work? It's for Internet Security the regular version or 2002 Professional, not trial. But I'm thinking it should be similar... basically just have to edit some registry entries, apparently there is no file in Windows\ or Windows\System or anything that needs to be removed.

If that didn't work, she can always call the place where she bought her computer from or send an email to Norton and ask them. Well good luck.

must be some new about this, i tried to uninstall the internet sec too, for a friend. and question what, the damn prog asked the cd. never got this prob before. thnx god it wasn't my pc :). i don't use norton nowaday. to much RAM och slow at scan too.

Back