• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Upgrade to vBulletin 4.0?

sander k

NLC
Is FWS going to upgrade to vBulletin 4.0?

If I could advise you just a little bit, wait with it untill everything works well.
I have upgraded yesterday from 3.8.4. PL1 to 4.0. PL1 and it is a living nightmare. None of my existing mods are working, which could be expected.
But thats not all. Half of the mods developed for 4.0 on vbulletin.org doesn't work. They give all kinds of weird mysql and template errors.

I remember somewhere where they said they aren't planning on upgrading, which is good. vBulletin is more expensive then it's worth.

VB is far more cheaper then the likes of IPB. I use the new VB 4 and I would rate it 9 out of 10. As for the mods, FWS as far as I can tell don't really use mods so it would not have any effect on this site.

We use a couple of mods behind the scenes, shouldn't be a problem. When upgrading I imagine it will be the design that will take the most time to fix. We don't have any immediate plans to upgrade. At some point though I guess we will look into upgrading.

IPB is cheaper for me since I don't pay for upgrades on my IPB. They even upgrade my board (filmsnack.se) for me for free. And there are free forums like mybb.

VB is far more cheaper then the likes of IPB. I use the new VB 4 and I would rate it 9 out of 10. As for the mods, FWS as far as I can tell don't really use mods so it would not have any effect on this site.

Have you seen vBulletin's new pricing?!

If I could advise you just a little bit, wait with it untill everything works well..
Very good advice. I don't think I have seen one positive review yet.

A good case for "if it aint broke, don't fix it" ;)

It seems that you are not using any skins in here, so I assume upgrade (once you decide) will not be so complicated task for you

Yes I have agreed it's a little bit more expensive but when it comes to plugins and features vBulletin is much more customisable to the clients needs.

Might I show you invisionize? The top free provider for IPB 1.3. so many free customizations. Also, there are many other free plug-ins for newer versions. but wait, what's this? vBulletin doesn't provide free plug-ins? That's right, they only have paid plug-ins. :\

I'm glad I use MyBB. Similar to vBulletin, free, and has more plug-ins. :D

My vbulletin board is a nightmare, none of my mods/plugin work and it seems like none of the mods I used before are getting upgraded.

There are some simuliar mods availeble now, but they are full of bugs.

Vbulletin 4.0 got released way to early. I paid someone 2 upgrade two of my mods which will be done by Monday, and other than that, things work fine, but trust me, it isn't all it is cracked up to be yet.

Vbulletin 4.0 got released way to early. I paid someone 2 upgrade two of my mods which will be done by Monday, and other than that, things work fine, but trust me, it isn't all it is cracked up to be yet.

Which mods are that If I may ask? I might be willing to buy them from you.

Which mods are that If I may ask? I might be willing to buy them from you.

They are advance registration and advanced forum rules. They come in real handy with managing the forum guidelines for my forum as well as keeping bots out. Once the Advanced Registration gets installed again, the only way a member can register is by entering a invite code that gets sent to them.

It was very useful when I used 3.8 version.

VB 4.0 is just a copy of IPB 3.0 a poor one at that. IPB 3.0 update is much better then the update for VB.

I would say stay with how it is, if its not bust it don't need fixing. [Like some one put]

We have no plans to upgrade to 4.0 at this time.

IPB 3 is great, I'm using it at another forum. Members love it and usually members don't like changes at all.

Back