• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Uptime on free services vs paid ones

Status
Not open for further replies.

worlditsme

I have often wondered are paid services really better than free ones in terms of uptime and was curious as to people's opinions here.

Also does anyone know of a good PHP script I could put on my web hosting site to show the uptime statistics for there?

You might as well just go for a free one. The only difference is, the paid ones usually ping your box more often. In all honesty, that just puts you at a DISadvantage if you plan to do a quick config update or some maintenance that will make the server unavailable for only a few moments.

I have often wondered are paid services really better than free ones in terms of uptime and was curious as to people's opinions here.
It is difficult to say. For example, I'm with an excellent Free Website host, however it is the nature of the free website business that you get people who are very inexperienced in working with sophisticated databases, or doing things that are really dumb or maybe even malicious at times. And that can affect the downtime even when technically the servers are in great shape. On the side of paid hosts, you can get some of the same. Usually however they tend to have huge back-up servers in place, particularly the ones who are really professional. Being a Free Website Host is not the easiest in that regard so I take my hat off for you. I know that Bondings have done plenty of allnighters during the occasional times that we have been down. I'd think in the case of Free Website Hosts who don't have the same kind of dedication it could turn into a serious problem. It may be an idea to have a mirror of the Status Report running on a Website that is not on the same server.

With regard to the script, I think you can Google it. You may find some freebies. Like the one below:

http://www.4webhelp.net/scripts/php/uptime.php

:)

Also does anyone know of a good PHP script I could put on my web hosting site to show the uptime statistics for there?

Hi,

Do you really need a php script. If you only have one server you can use a pingdom free account, or their paid service if you have more than one.

It has nice graphs etc., that you can make public (just post a link on your web page), and free banners you can embed in your pages.

HTH,

Nick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back