• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

USB 2 Hub with external hard disk

Kratt

I have a USB 2 hub which does not seem to want to work with my external USB 2 hard disk. my external hard disk case is powered, and so is the hub. :shocked2:

basically, the hard disk would work for a while, and then Explorer or whatever program is accessing the files would hang. The first time, it will maybe spend five minutes and recover, after that it will be gone. Sometimes, the drive would be corrupted, and sometimes it wouldn't. :eek2:

the hard disk works perfectly fine when plug directly into my laptop (which is a Sony - wondering whether this is their fault as with many of my other compatibility problems). It also works when plugged into a nonpowered USB one hub which I have.

I got a replacement for my USB two hub, but the new one would recognise a hard disk but not display any of the drive letters! :confused4 so I am using the old one for now. Although more as a storage place for my cable.

Drivers? I just use the ones with winXP SP2, everything detects automatically.
It's one of those generic hubs, sold under a dozen brands and names. :confused4 :confused4

you could also try and directly connect it to a usb port than the hub itself and see if that solves the problem. it may just be the problem of the computer being bombarded with all those devices and the proformance of the external harddisk may be effected.

as I said, it works when connected directly but not with a hub even when there is nothing else connected to the hub. I am thinking it may be a driver problem, since it seemed to work better with a different computer at work.

but I tried to update the driver, and as expected there were no better drivers found other than the default Microsoft drivers. Do you have any ideas what to do?

Have you tried differnet connections on the hub as I've had one hub where just one port went but the others works. Also is the disk and hard disk USB 2 or a mixture?

Rus

I tried removing all USB drivers and rebooting, no good.
IDE hard disk in a USB 2 case, tried different ports but all still eventually fail. Will try a few more combos. The 2nd one really doesn't show drive letters at all

I don't dare write to it anymore while testing the hub, just a few min. reading will start to show the symptoms.

Back