• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Using Wikis?

I have used them for fan sites before and allowed members to create fan pages for their favorite subjects. Wikis are good publishing tools but unless they have a WYSIWYG editor, .. expecting users to learn the wiki syntax can be a bit troublesome

You would want to use a wiki for a site that was very socially focused. If you can't identify an explicit need for it, don't use it. The worst use of a technology is that you're using it just because you can.

You would want to use a wiki for a site that was very socially focused. If you can't identify an explicit need for it, don't use it. The worst use of a technology is that you're using it just because you can.

How many MySQL threads can I generate :p.

Once you get to know the software, installing + managing Wiki is actually pretty cool. :) It's different, yes, but you can do some cool things with the software.

Chris

Check out www.mediawiki.org.
The latest version requires PHP5. Apart from that and ability to use mod_rewrite, there's no other restrictions on choosing a webhost that I am aware of.

Check out www.mediawiki.org.
The latest version requires PHP5. Apart from that and ability to use mod_rewrite, there's no other restrictions on choosing a webhost that I am aware of.

Actually, all versions from 1.7.x and higher require PHP5. I run 1.6.10 because of this, and it works good... but you'll need the ParserFunctions extension for any real improvements.

I know something about wikis (i.e. sometimes I use Wikipedia) but how do webmasters use wikis in their sites?

I've read about the following but I'm not sure how I would use them.
How would you use them in your sites/communities/whatever you create on the web?

http://pbwiki.com/

http://swickihome.eurekster.com/faqs.htm

What type of hosting would a webmaster need to use the above?

we are hosting some wiki's using the same software that wikipedia uses... it seems to be the best choice for wiki software.

Back