• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

using xampp on linux vps

william232

Hi all,

I have been told xampp is not secure can anyone tell me or explain to me as to why this isnt secure even though i will follow the xampp security quiet but is that all that will make it more secure as i am considering of purchasing a vps and installing xampp i've been told its not secure for hosting websites with,

Thanks,William

it is best if u just install php, mysql manually in the VPS directly from the repo.
i will be easier to maintain this way, since when there is any update, it will be updated when u update ur OS

You will be using LAMP on Linux. and they're right, its not safe to use it. Its not even right to use it. Just install Apache/Lighttpd, PHP, MySQL and a firewall.

These types of web servers are meant for development on a local computer. I would suggest (as others already have) that you install Apache, MySQL, PHP from the OS itself if you're using it on a server.

If you're using CentOS it's as simple as using the yum commands. There are many guides on this, including: http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect_setup_centos5.0

if i get a linux vps with centos i would be able to miss out on install centos itself wouldnt i?

and just install rest of those items does it explain how to configure the bind name servers too?

Thanks,William

I though, Xamp was for windows and a LAMP setup was with linux. XAMP, should be used only for testing. Shouldn't ever be used for Production. Abyss is okay, I own X2. How ever i only use it for home use.

@william232
just go to howtoforge.com and look for some tutorials on how to setup all these components.
it is very straight forward.
and it is always safer to install from the distro repo and update from the repo.

Why would you need need xampp, lamp or anything like that on a VPS. Just get a CentOS VPS and yum install apache/mysql/php

@jphilipson
erm....
LAMP means Linux-Apache-MySQL-PHP,
which it refers to installing Apache, MySQL and PHP in Linux to run as a web server
:)

There are a lot of guides on web to install LAMP on your server...

I don't think there is a need to read those long tutorials. Because when you install a OS with an OS template, you have LAMP inbuilt most of the time.

if u spend some time, u might even find some shell scripts that do the installation automatically for you!

Back