• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Vlexo.com

cosmouse

Recently, I signed up with Vlexo.com on a special sponsored plan. After a week or two, Vlexo's ISP suspended their dedicated server because they were emailed by SpamCop, who had discovered that many spam emails were being sent out from LifeofArts.vlexo.com. There was two days of downtime.

While this is an inconvenience, I can understand it. What I don't understand is why the owner of Vlexo decided to suspend all hosting accounts. So far, my account has been suspended since the server was brought back online. In his forum, the owner had stated that he will only unsuspended accounts he trusts and people he knows. This seems very unfair to me.

I have contacted the HelpDesk, but there has been no response. Actually, I looked at my support ticket history, and there's no history of me ever sending a ticket (which explains why I haven't received a response -- the script is broken). The forum support team has said that accounts will be examined and those who are not guilty of sending the spam emails. But my question is, why suspend all the accounts? I've never heard of a host suspending all accounts in the event of someone using theirs to send spam emails.

What do you think -- was it a rash and unfair decision, or a reasonable solution to stopping a spam account?

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although it sounds like I do not like this host, it has been an excellent host aside from this incident. I'm still waiting for them to unsuspend my account; I don't want to go through the process of finding another host with PHP5.

Sorry, but the provider in your case sounds like they have a fair share of blame. Look at this thread: http://forum.vlexo.com/showthread.php?t=62

If you look at the mail headers carefully, it's drop dead obvious which account the spam was sent from.

A free host has obligation and duty to look after their servers to the best they can. And in your instance, judging from the "spam source" your host posted, it's quite a basic issue which should have been caught on the spot - and not left until when the IPs were already blacklisted on the major lists.

It seems there are very few free hosts who actually know what they are doing with their root server.

Back