• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

warez, whats illegal and whats legal?

xite

Im building site which has an underground theme, and I was just wanting to know a few answers about this topic.

firstly, the site is going to have an underground news site, kind of like a 'zine' for the underground. Is this illegal? I won't be giving away any warez, just giving info about the subject, and other things to.

Secondly, im going to start my own webring for warez sites that have kickass design. Again I will not be giving away the warez, just giving our logo for sites to put on their site to show they are part of the ring. Is this illegal?

thx for your attention :)

-xite

Originally posted by xite
Im building site which has an underground theme, and I was just wanting to know a few answers about this topic.

firstly, the site is going to have an underground news site, kind of like a 'zine' for the underground. Is this illegal? I won't be giving away any warez, just giving info about the subject, and other things to.

Secondly, im going to start my own webring for warez sites that have kickass design. Again I will not be giving away the warez, just giving our logo for sites to put on their site to show they are part of the ring. Is this illegal?

thx for your attention :)

I've read the TOS for every host that I've used and all of them ( with the exception of http://www.piratecity.com ) DO NOT allow linking to warez. Which a webring would be linking to warez. However, I see nothing wrong with discussion on the subject on a website, but you can't tell people how to get it, where to get it, etc.

Well so far your site is legal, but you wont get any free hosts to host it since they do not like to host warez related content. Were you thinking of something like isonews.com?

just another thing :)

we are sorted with hosting. We have decided to go with pay hosting, and they have accepted out site. So the webring isn't a problem.

First and foremost, I am not a lawyer. So, I'd listen to a lawyer beore I listen to what I'm about going to say.

The law regarding warez isn't black and white. Liking to warez from your site (via a webring) isn't clear-cut legal. It's more or les in a gray area. If one of the sites in your webring gave away a lot of adobe products, and adobe tried to sue the webmaster of that site, they might see your image on there and get you involved in the lawsuit as well. It's not likely to happen, but technically it could.

There are a number of underground e-zines, and I don't think any of them have been shut down by the government, so you should be OK there.

Originally posted by Rodie
There are a number of underground e-zines, and I don't think any of them have been shut down by the government, so you should be OK there.

I would think that those would be protected by free-speech laws.

Well just realize that free speech doesn't mean you can do anything you want to. You can't call up the president and tell him you are going to kill him and then claim free speech. Just know that there are limits to freedom :(

(And you ask, how does *this* apply here? Well it doesn't, but you get the idea).

You can't call up the president and tell him you are going to kill him and then claim free speech

Ouch! You can very likely expect the Secret Service to show up at your door tommorrow morning just for putting those words that close together. Big Brother is watching.... :p

Originally posted by Chicken
Just know that there are limits to freedom

Damn US government. They can all go to hell and rot there. Freedom of speach should be limitless. If I said I wanted to nail woodchips under the president's fingernails, I shouldn't get arrested, but I probally would because the government is like that. Hipocritical(sp?) bitches.

According to scientific theory, there should be AT LEAST nine other planets with intellgent life and I bet that the government knows about at least three of them, but would they tell us? NOPE. Would they tell us that they KNEW the Bermuda Triangle is actually a 72 mile wide whirlpool? NOPE. We had to wait till some guy in an airplane and a camera flew over top of it. The government is a bunch of lying, cheating, sons of bitches.

"Yes I feel emphatic about not being static and not eating the bullshit that is being fed to more no more... cause' now I'm full."

Back