• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

We made a mostly functional cat brain, yay!

TehGuy

Weird title for the thread, but hey, it's true! I'm talking about this article from popular science.

Popular Science said:
Cats may retain an aura of mystery about their smug selves, but that could change with scientists using a supercomputer to simulate the the feline brain. That translates into 144 terabytes of working memory for the digital kitty mind.

IBM and Stanford University researchers modeled a cat's cerebral cortex using the Blue Gene/IP supercomputer, which currently ranks as the fourth most powerful supercomputer in the world. They had simulated a full rat brain in 2007, and 1 percent of the human cerebral cortex this year.

The simulated cat brain still runs about 100 times slower than the real thing. But PhysOrg reports that a new algorithm called BlueMatter allows IBM researchers to diagram the connections among cortical and sub-cortical places within the human brain. The team then built the cat cortex simulation consisting of 1 billion brain cells and 10 trillion learning synapses, the communication connections among neurons.

Pretty cool stuff if you ask me. I know some other research team hopes to simulate a whole human brain in 10 years, too. Makes you curious about what we'll actually have 10 or 20 years from now. Granted all we have now is a retarded cat, but still, better than just a sci-fi novel.

I guess some people are concerned about ethical dilemmas now that artificial intelligence is becoming less and less of a science fiction topic, but it's always seemed like too far away of a technology for me to bother with finding out the arguments/concerns there.

Last edited:
ever heard of the Iron lungs? machines have been able to do that for a long time. due to the complexity of the human brain, however, the cat thing is far more difficult

I remember watching a very old video on YouTube sometime last year or more, where Russian Scientists managed to have a dogs head alive through machines mimicking it's lungs, heart etc.

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.co...cientists-kept-a-dogs-severed-head-alive/1315
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Experiments_in_the_Revival_of_Organisms

All I can say about this cat, well... they are quite behind if the one about the dog is actually real considering theirs isn't even physical.

I saw that video, I don't speak Russian but I don't think they were simulating a brain - just a circulatory system. The dog's features seemed to still react to things such as wind, sound, but I don't think it was through any sort of brain activity.

Back