• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What bitrate is music on CD's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rodie

All of the mp3s I download have a 192 kb/s bitrate. When I burn these to CD's, what bitrade are they recorded at? I only ask because some of my mp3's sound a little bit better in mp3 format then when I play them from the CD.

I'm using Apaptec Easy-CD creator to burn them, which seems to be a good program (it's really pretty fast).

Any ideas?

Another problem could be that you're computer sound system is better that your CD player or stereo system. I have the same problem about mp3s sounding better because I have a 5 speaker system with ground mount subwoofer capable of Dolby Digital surround sound or whatever but my peice of shit CD player ****s up a handfull of my mp3s :p.

They are recorded at the same quality you downloaded at, so generally, if you get a shi¤ty quality download like 56kb/s then it will sound bad. When downloading try to go for a happy medium between quality and file size. i like 128 or 112, but if you have a Uberfast connection it dont matter.

the 144khz is something else entirely ;)

Originally posted by Nick
Another problem could be that you're computer sound system is better that your CD player or stereo system. I have the same problem about mp3s sounding better because I have a 5 speaker system with ground mount subwoofer capable of Dolby Digital surround sound or whatever but my peice of shit CD player ****s up a handfull of my mp3s :p.

That very well may be the reason why. The system on my computer isn't near as good as yours (only 2 speakers) but it has a subwoofer and digital audio output. Even headphone sound is good. My "stereo" is pretty crappy. It's really just a boombox ;0, and my portable cd player is 5 years old. Whereas I've only had my computer for 6-7 weeks.

Originally posted by Coolin
Originally posted by Koolguy
Cd's are encoded at 144kbits
I seriously doubt that. Or CD format would be more compact than MP3's.

No thats not true, cd are stored as WAV type files (if you call them a file) with no compression. An mp3 has certain sounds removed that you cannot hear then it is compressed ten times smaller. A 4mb mp3 was made from a 40mb uncompressed sound file.

An mp3 has certain sounds removed that you cannot hear then it is compressed ten times smaller.

Just to go more in depth: these sounds are what occurs from a high tone going to a low tone quickly and vice versa. The brain does not move fast enough to pickup these sounds so you never hear them. This is what makes them so much smaller. The same technology is used for Sony MDs.

Some people say removing these can cause less quality sound. IMO, they're full of shit because if you can't hear it, how's quality reduced?

Cd's are encoded at 144kbits
I seriously doubt that. Or CD format would be more compact than MP3's.
No thats not true, cd are stored as WAV type files (if you call them a file) with no compression. An mp3 has certain sounds removed that you cannot hear then it is compressed ten times smaller. A 4mb mp3 was made from a 40mb uncompressed sound file.
An average MP3 is 128-196kbit/s. Therefore, CD's cannot be 144kbits and have better sound. A CD is about 1mbit/s.

Nope thats not true, for example a 700mb cd can hold 80 min of music.

700 / 80 / 60 = 0.145833333333333333333333333333333 MB

Thats how much space 1 second of cd music takes up.

Notice that its 0.145 which is rounded off to 144 to fit right. Thus meaning that each second of music data takes up about 144 kb, compared to about 12kb for a mp3 (128kbits). Even though the mp3 takes up less space, special filtering of excess data makes the file size smaller by a factor of ten. It is still technically encoded at the same (or close to) a rate of cd audio.

[Edited by Koolguy on 01-18-2001 at 10:47 PM]

umm.. i know this for a fact..

but cd music is 256kbits/s

unless you are some music junky, you won't notice the difference between that and 196.. but perhaps with 128 and 144.. the quality won't be as great..

and the 256 doesn't really mean anything unless you have one of those $9000 bose sound systems that no one buys..

Originally posted by Jerry
Koolguy, it's 144kbyte/s, not kbits.
its kbits..

144kbits = 18kbytes
256kbits = 32kbytes
Uh, an average 650meg CD fits 74 mins of music. Therefore, 74mins x 18kbytes = 1332kbytes. That is about 1.2 megs. I wonder what the 648.8 megs are doing there?

Uh, an average 650meg CD fits 74 mins of music. Therefore, 74mins x 18kbytes = 1332kbytes. That is about 1.2 megs. I wonder what the 648.8 megs are doing there? [/B]

Mate, that's 74 seconds of music!

coolin.. did i say 18 kbytes = 1 min? no i didn't.. i was converting bits to bytes.. music is encoded in kbits

just like how modem rates are like.. 56000 kbits per second.. is 7000 kbytes per second.. which is 6.84, the max speed of a 56k modem..

its PCM uncompressed, 1411.2 Kbps Stereo if you want to go about describing it that way. :p

thank you very much dude

Originally posted by Gayowulf
They are recorded at the same quality you downloaded at, so generally, if you get a shi¤ty quality download like 56kb/s then it will sound bad. When downloading try to go for a happy medium between quality and file size. i like 128 or 112, but if you have a Uberfast connection it dont matter.

the 144khz is something else entirely ;)

nice bsod. totally ****ed up my windows and even safe mode didnt work. until i run windows setup again to fix it. i would like to give you a big **** YOU before i leave here. and peo ban me if you want, for cussing or being offensive or whatever.. i am not coming to this site ANY MORE because there are people on your forum who has a signature like that. thank you very much. bye everyone. this will be my last post on these forums, ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back