• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What do you need to start a web host?

jonnyt

I was just wondering what you need to start up your own web hosting company. (Not re-selling.) I'm not thinking of starting my own, but I'm just wondering what you need and what you have to do.

Could someone help me with this... Thanks :D

*money/credit for initial investment
*location for your servers (with air condition)
*a couple of servers (coboalt raq, would be a good idea to start: afordable and easy to manage)
*at least 2 permanent fast connection to the internet from 2 diffrent service providers
(that's gonna be expensive!)
*staff (well educated for setting up the servers; person for support; person for marketing and website-design)

just to give you a simple idea

but perhaps you could also just rent/buy servers at a noc...
and set up your service there...
(it's not exactly reselling...)

Well.. let me try to break it down for you (feel free to add along if I say something wrong or forget something).

First you need a server, rachskack has Cobalt RaQ4is for $99 dollars a month that come with 175GB of bandwidth and a 20GB Hard drive. $250 setup fee

If you go with the Cobalt, you'll probably want some scripts that will automatically create the users account within minutes for faster service. You can get AutoSetup scripts for $90 dollars @ http://autosetup.northwesthost.com/ Don't know how to install them? That's another $100 dollars to configure your system and install them.

You also need a domain - $8.95 a year from godaddy.com

Don't do webdesigning? You can get a good one for $100-$150 dollars.

Want to accept credit cards? Instabill.com is free - www.revecom.com is $49 dollars setup up fee

Need a P.O. Box? I've seen some for $60 for 6 -months.

There is a lot lot lot more!

Just above, the total cost is for the first month it around $656.99. That is if you want autosetup scripts, a paid webdesign, a P.O. Box, a revecom account. =0

Last edited:
good describtion robert.
you must know, cause you did start your own company:)))
awesome links:)

and i believe it's a good idea to start with renting/buying servers at a datacenter and then if you got enough customers open your own datacenter....

i was thinking of renting an opening a host, too.
BUT i don't know that many people that would need space and think it's tricky to get enough customers... if you don't have got a web-design company and/or invest a lot of time...

SPEND ENOUGH TIME ON YOUR CALCULATIONS!!!

Greetings

Ya.. let me also mention that time and dedication is needed to not only start your company but keep your clients happy. You might want to get a few friends to help you, maybe a support team.

But most of all, expierence. You need to know how your server operates, the pros and cons and you need to know it like you know the back of your hand. It's imperative that you know what errors your server are producing and fixing them as fast as possible.

akersche: Yup. But I love webhosting and providing people with affordable webhosting. I take personal offence when i see other webhosting companies con people out!

great to hear that robert.

i guess i would like that, too.
but i think i am better of with a diffrent full time job.

well, that would be the problem of your data center....

perhaps you might wanna block some ports and got an intruder detection system...
(to detect and stop hackers)

but it's not like an intranet. you have to serve customers with content (http (port 80), ftp (21), ...)

thanks

oaky, and which is a better platform to provide hosting off of:

Unix or windows NT or Windows 2000

that's a question of preference...

but i think everyone would say that Windows 2000 is better than NT.

I would prefer Unix(e.g. sun server with soloaris) or Linux for a web-server.

linux would also be a cheap choice!
(don't mean cheap negative)

cobalt raq come with linux...

I would say Unix I think most would agree with me but as always theres the person who disagrees :rolleyes:

Windows 2000 is Windows NT. The newest version of Windows NT is Windows 2000.

Stick with Unix. Much better.

getting real simple

--just curious... is it possible to host your own personal websites on your own personal pc? i.e. very very very small scale operation.....

o..I have several p.o.boxes at $14.00 a year.The urban large post offices maybe $45 a year.(they just were $40)

FreeBSD or Open BSD is way better than linux, and it is way harder to set up as well. So you have to balance it for yourself.

As for the hosting on your own pc. Yes you can. If you installed a web server on your pc than you can do that.

You can search on Download.com for some beginer's one. Such as OmniHTTP. if you want perl to function, you can get activeperl.
( sorry i can't remember the url now )

There is also pcakage that will install apache, php, perl, mysql, but you have to be a bit more careful with things like that since if you haven't got a clue what 's going on you would end on confusion yourself.

Yup.. you can turn your computer into your own little personal website running any Windows OS (95,98,Me,XP,2K).

First off - you need to have at least a cable/DSL Connection. If your on a 56K modem, don't do it, your site will be so slow that it would be impossible for 2-3 people to even visit it at the same time.

Next, download apache from apache.org for Windows. Apache is what will make your computer a host. Once you download it, you'll need to go into the /conf/ folder and edit the httpd.conf file.

You might want Php (www.php.net), MySQL (www.mysql.com) and Perl (www.activestate.com). Make sure to download all copies for Windows OS.

Once you've downloaded everything and configured it, start up Apache..if a MS-DOS window pops-up, Apache is running. Now simply goto your IP address and you got your own personal web site.

You can point your domain to your site and even download a program to allow people to FTP to your computer (not sure if ProFTP is for Windows as well?) and even have a mail server (check at www.download.com for a Mail Server).

But be careful, if you are running on a DSL/Cable Connection, your provider may not allow servers. I know of a few of DSL companies that don't allow business servers, but allow you to run a small server that doesn't use more than 3GB a month.

Apache What? Php What? MySQL What?

Don't got a clue what I'm talking about? Or need help installling/configuring Apache? Try downloading phptriads from www.download.com. PhpTriads comes with Apache, Php and MySQL. When you install it, it'll install apache, php and mysql and configure it all for you!

thanks !!!!

I've c/c/p and bookmarked the above replies for my records.

Don't want to get TOO off-topic but I wonder if Windows XP is going to render everything a person sits on as being worthless? All software collections...hardware.... I presume places will come up with new drivers but //////////

You can't avoid these things because every new PC that is shipped will have XP on it and just give it time everbody and everything is XP.

Bill Gates had visited my school about 2-3 weeks ago. He's down here for the yearly Microsoft Convetion and decided to give all High Schools in Miami 40-60 new Dell Systems as well as free copies of Windows XP.

I was able to speak to Bill Gates and ask him a few quesitons about Windows XP and he stated that since Windows 2000 was released, they couldn't release a simple version of Windows 2000 like Windows 98, so they simply created Windows XP. I may purchase it, it sounds better than 98 and Me (Anything is better than Me. lol).

Also, as mentioned before, running FreeBSD on your sytem or at least Redhat 7 would be better than running Windows if you want to turn your computer into a system.

Back