• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

what is single home?

When you buy a dedicated server, a someone has to provide your hosting company with bandwidth.

usually hosting companies want to provide their customers with reliable, fast connections. To do this, the get bandwidth from several different places. This is multi-homed. Multi-homed is good.

Single homed is when your hosting company only has one bandwidth provider.

BGP4 redundant means that even if part of the network goes down, people will still be able to see your site. It is like having many different highways going to the same place.

Singled homed means the NOC has one bandwidth provider, usually Cogent. This is normally the more economical of the 2 choices.

The downside to this is if that provider goes down, so does your website.

BGP4 Redundant refers to Border Gateway Protocol. BGP selects the quickest route to the destination and sends the information along that route. Also, if one network provider goes down the NOC has several more carriers to take over so your website (shouldn't) go down.

Not too technical, but maybe it helps you get the idea. :)

Most of the "single homed" I've seen are Cogent, that is all.

"Usually" was a poor choice of words on my part, because as you said it could easily be any provider. :)

Originally posted by sonichost.net
Most of the "single homed" I've seen are Cogent, that is all.

"Usually" was a poor choice of words on my part, because as you said it could easily be any provider. :)

Most nocs don't single home

and the onces which do .. do for a reason :rolleyes:

Back