• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

What is the best bulletin board software?

DJkC

I want to know what is the best board on the net?
Other than Vbulletin?
I want board with most features.

I see Ikonboard have more stuff like, track this topic, email this to friends and stuff like that. It seems to be better than other free boards.
Ikonboard now supports Mysql so is it fast and more reliable than earlydays?

Last edited:
Originally posted by AsianDOC
IBForums or PhpBB2 are the best free boards IMHO

phpBB 2.x is good, but only if you are planning on customizing your board! :angry2: I'm getting annoyed at people who don't customize their phpBB boards. It's made me sick and tired of seeing the already ugly template.

Originally posted by conkermaniac

phpBB 2.x is good, but only if you are planning on customizing your board! :angry2: I'm getting annoyed at people who don't customize their phpBB boards. It's made me sick and tired of seeing the already ugly template.
It looked excellent when first released. So many people use it now that it makes it look ugly. I have to agree with you there.

Originally posted by AsianDOC
It looked excellent when first released. So many people use it now that it makes it look ugly. I have to agree with you there.

I've never understood why they can't understand the simple concept of customization. Sometimes, their message board contrasts 100% with their site colors! :(

I've never understood why they can't understand the simple concept of customization. Sometimes, their message board contrasts 100% with their site colors! :(
I think it's simply because they don't know how to customise or are not good at it.

I think IBForums are much much better than PHPBB2 ?
IBF got hell of features than PHPBB2.
Like mail to friends, print this topic, birth days, etc...
What you think?
What is bad at IBF? Is it slow? Can't custermize?
What is the better stuff of PHPBB2 than IBF? I can't find any.

Please help me to find the best free board.

(Don't care about my spelling :D )

PHP with MySQL.

There will be people who say that php isn't faster than CGI, but is really how the board (or script) is written that determines it. But from what I see, boards with PHP and MySQL is faster.

Originally posted by DJkC
I think IBForums are much much better than PHPBB2 ?
IBF got hell of features than PHPBB2.
What you think?
What is bad at IBF? Is it slow? Can't custermize?
What is the better stuff of PHPBB2 than IBF? I can't find any.

Please help me to find the best free board.

(Don't care about my spelling :D )

It's the admin panel that bothers people. PhpBB2's admin panel still sucks, but it's better than IBForums, so I have heard. I've only used phpBB's before; haven't tried IBForums.

Actually, Ikonboard is a really good board if you only look at features and layout. However, the reason people hate it so much is that it sucks up resources. IBForums takes the same features and layout and uses less resources instead. But of course, this has nothing to do with phpBB2.

Actually, those are three really useless features...

Mail to Friends:
If you are really keen on mailing it to your friends, why not just send them a regular e-mail? There's no use in taking up space on a message board with this feature, since few people actually use it.

Print this Topic:
How long does it take to paste into Microsoft Word? Plus, this feature is pretty much obslete.

Birthdays:
This feature is creative, but it really doesn't have much to do with the board itself. However, the main problem is newbies who don't realize that their birthday (along with age!) will show up on the main page of the forum. To some people, this is VERY sensitive information, and I believe that warnings should be put up next to this field when they register.

Well, personally, I love phpbb2. I agree, the admin panel could be made a little better, but it's so easy to customize.

That being said, I actually saw a couple of Invisionboards the other day, and they look very nice. I even like the default template, although I do agree with maniac, I have no idea why you wouldn't want to customize your board.

It's the admin panel that bothers people. PhpBB2's admin panel still sucks, but it's better than IBForums, so I have heard. I've only used phpBB's before; haven't tried IBForums.

I hate the admin panel of IBForums. You have to expand them and contract them, what a waste of time. Why not show everything as once anddon't require us to click on Expand all?

Originally posted by trenzterra
I hate the admin panel of IBForums. You have to expand them and contract them, what a waste of time. Why not show everything as once anddon't require us to click on Expand all?

I agree, even though it does like nice.

Deffinitely phpBB2, it's a breeze to install. I haven't tried installing IBforums, but they're newer, so go with phpBB.

Back