• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

what should I learn?

neG.oNe

I want to be a better webmaster, what should I learn about and when I mean learn about I mean how to actually use it , I know a little html but I want to learn it so I can just write something up from scratch like notepad or should I go with php or maybe learn about cgi or asp!? I don't know yet but over the summer i'm gonna try to learn something...maybe how to code in php or something since right now im too busy

asp
ez to learn n u could pick any language u wanna do it in
vbscript is the default language n ez to learn for beginner

Originally posted by wm2k1
asp
ez to learn n u could pick any language u wanna do it in
vbscript is the default language n ez to learn for beginner

Is asp = visual basic? I looked at some asp coding and I"m kinda confused. I know ASP is Active Server Pages, but what is it really?

Also, how easy is it for someone who already knows php to learn asp?

Thanks.

Ten commandment in writing a web page
Easy to navigate
Make a navigator bar (text or small size image) Easy readable menu. Link to previous page...etc

Consider all human being's independencies
Consider of screen resolution, different font platform, etc..

Fast load for each page.
The combined size for each page with graphic should be less than 150Kb.

No very long page
Do separate it into many sections.

Text MUST be easy to read
Don't use such a high contrast background, or a background with same shade color as a text color.

Consider image's size and quality
GIF is suitable for image with solid flat colors and those that have sharp and distinct edge, JPEG is suitable for photograph image. Every picture shouldn't be bigger than 80Kb. For photo gallery, better using JPEG. And the file size should be less than 150Kb. Don't forget to make 'thumbnail' for easy selection.

You can be contacted
Don't forget to display where to contact you.

Smaller as possible
Make your web page as smaller as possible.

No confusing page
Don't make a page with too many GIF animations and page with too many frames.

No sucking stuffs
Don't use such stupid JavaScript, scuh as script to blink your screen or scroll text in status-line. And to use Java Applet, use just only one applet for each page.

neG.oNe: CSS, javascript, maybe DHTML first,
and then ASP or PHP (which one of them is your choice). But CSS and javascript are very helpfull for static pages. If you would build a data-driven dynamic pages you should choose between ASP (it runs mostly on Windows web-servers) or PHP. This is my opinion.

Pedroz is probably right, ill start with that first since I was thinking about using DHTML for one of those navigation menus like at microsoft site and CSS (Cascade style sheets, is that right? top of my head) and javascript might be helpful also, what exactly are they used for...I know javascript has to involve with the browser like minimizing browsers and stuff...im assuming, correct me if I'm wrong and then ill probably go for asp

[Add] oh and vorapoap ill be sure to print that out and thumbtack it to my wall right beside the monitor

:D and you guys can just call me Neg if you want

Last edited:
PHP is generally considered easier than ASP, and not only that, but it's support across the net is simply massive. It's open source, whereas ASP is not, so you can bet there are hundreds of places you can turn to when you're in a jam.

But, it also depends on what you're capable of. My host doesn't support ASP, so I really didn't have a choice...I went with PHP. In the end, it will be your decision.

cgi <- most easily/commonly used on unix-based servers
asp <- most easily/commonly used on windows-based servers
php <- works well on all servers with no coding modifications dependant on the operating system

css <- supported by browsers, not servers. therefore it won't work for every user
javascript <- same as css
php <- server side... works with all users regardless of browser

Originally posted by keith
css <- supported by browsers, not servers. therefore it won't work for every user

In this list, the incompatibility issue is the most problematic matter... JavaScript is supposed to be the good language according to its parent (JAVA).. but it is not.. I find that JavaScript is the worst programming language so far.. due to the lack of incompatibility between crossing browsers... Testing JavaScript with Netscape first seem to be a good to start ....but in IE, it reports so little and stupid error messages for you.

And for CSS.. please make sure you are stick to CSS standard... (W3C consortium one)

:rolleyes: When somebody starts to propose a new standard, it is good.. if they want to make things better.. but if they do in purpose to dominate the market.. SUCKEST! THEY ARE

Oh.. I think you use the same avartar as somebody else??

well

:D Dragon is supposed to be the most clever creature on earth (mroe clever than human).. I am sure you will learn them quite fast..if you are a dragon.. :)

Originally posted by keith
cgi <- most easily/commonly used on unix-based servers
asp <- most easily/commonly used on windows-based servers
php <- works well on all servers with no coding modifications dependant on the operating system

php <- server side... works with all users regardless of browser
in your opinion what do you think is the easiest to learn, and so you guys think I should use javascript because of the browsers? and ill be sure to change my avatar when I have time :D

Originally posted by neG.oNe

in your opinion what do you think is the easiest to learn, and so you guys think I should use javascript because of the browsers? and ill be sure to change my avatar when I have time :D

You can't escape from the truth that to make your web site look attractive, you need them.. it is technology.... from the contrast view.. Look at YAHOO.. the main page is so simple, plain and basic, however.. YAHOO also introduces many new features, they use JAVA Applet to build a good game online.. and they are sure to run some kind of scripts to maintain their contents, advertisement system and user system.. They have Yahoo Club.. they bought EGROUPS.COM , GEOCITIES.COM and etc..

My idea is before deciding to learn anything, you have to get the objective from what you want first. Then try to seek the tool to meet that objective.. most effective, most efficient, easiest and cleanest.

For me, to be the better webmaster, you must know many tools available today.. but you don't need to go in depth until you need to use them.. just know what is it for.. and what it should do for your work.. then you can use it when you need so.. try to learn those things are not so hard in my view...

but if you learn too much by no actual purpose on doing so.. you will soon forget it and found it unattractive and boring to do.

what I can say is and always want to say is.. Set up the mini project for your dream.. try to do it.. use every tool available that meet your needs.. improve it from the ground up to the top.. and that's would be enough for what you should know for now.

uh..i kind of understood that and half I didn't , I understand that if you learn too much in no actualy purpose of doing so is boring, My friends father's very experienced with computers and webdesigning and junk he knows c++, php, cgi, asp and tons more, and know alot about computer hardware but my point is that he says everything is boring, he never actually did anything I guess you would say but hes qualified to work for alot of companies but for some reason he chooses no to work but instead designs graphics

Please state where you don't understand and raise the question from that point.. I think I have made my statement quite clearly enough. and my point is written at the end.

After reading it over again I understood what you meant but accept this part "My idea is before deciding to learn anything, you have to get the objective from what you want first"

Ok..

My idea is that before deciding to learn anything, you have to get the objective from what you want first. Then try to seek the tool to meet that objective.. most effective, most efficient, easiest and cleanest.

That is according to my last statement

what I can say is and always want to say is.. Set up the mini project for your dream.. try to do it.. use every tool available that meet your needs.. improve it from the ground up to the top.. and that's would be enough for what you should know for now.

First, you need an objective.. doing thing aimlessly may result in the same situation as your have mentioned.

When the objective is identified. You would feel like to challenge it. and that gives you more/better power than learning something without objective or the only objective for learning it is "I just want to know"

Then find a tool that suits you need... you might not realise you need them at the first place.. but when you build thing more and more complicated, you then know that you need something to manage it. but if you realize it from the first place, you will have a good plan from the starting point.. this is a content.. this is a template.. this is a layout.. how to combine this into this and this without messing up the whole damn things.. and such and such.... a stupid plan is better than no plan... but plan should be changed when it needs to.

but if you follow my way.. I had only a stupid plan.. my stupid plan is doing anything to achieve my objective. and then I find out later when my objective is expanded.. it was hard to improve from the old thing I had done.. so I had to reconstructed the whole archictecture again... and once more.. sometime.. some new archictecture is added to the project. to improve thing internally and externally.

I hope this is clear now.

Added
Oh.. one more thing.. your current objective is to be 'a better webmaster'.. I think the scope is too wide... and no ending.. becoz you can always be something better.. objective in this case, should be something you can achieve.

Last edited:
Back