• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Which Server?

VirtPanel

ok im having trouble on deciding which server to go for which is better:

a Dual Xeon Prestonia 2.8Ghz or a Quad Core Kentsfield 6600?

thanks in advanced.

What's the rest of the spec, the CPU is only one part of it, bus speed on the MB is a huge part as that's the part that transfers the info once processed back and forth, HDD latency and delivery - again the same thing.
I've not forgotten memory or OS either.

Either of those with a well assembled system will perform - but for what apps?

hmm that dont show anymore information onl that the Dual Xeon Prestonia 2.8GHZ, 2GB RAM, 80GB Hard Drive, Windows, TCAdmin and then the Quad Core Kentsfield 6600, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD, Windows, TCAdmin :S

Go for the XEON and a couple of Gb extra RAM, on thinking XEONS are workhorses not toys so should work out better all round.

What is the transfer for each?

With gameservers transfer is the biggest issue. As you need to insure cpu/ram and transfer is fairly shared for each server.

The P4's may be better off with TCadmin as you can get smaller server for the server files, and then the P4's for the servers which works very well.

I'd honestly recommend to ditch them both and go with a Dual Processor Dual Core Opteron if it will be a game server. :)

Well, Opteron's architecture is better than Xeon all the way. I'd have been working better with Opteron than Xeon.

Back