• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why doesn't anyone create an easier language?

conkermaniac

VIP
NLC
Yeah, yeah, I know that PHP is really easy already, but certainly people could go one step further and make web programming even easier! :confused:

the problem with easier languages is that they don't have as much functions / they are not as powerful as the harder ones ...

"Why doesn't anyone create an easier language?" .... I dont think you realize how impossible that question actually is. By far my favorite language is:
<%
MyArray("PHP", "CGI", "ASP", "CSS", "Banana", "Nothing")
%>
<%=MyArray(2)%>

Originally posted by hohoho
the problem with easier languages is that they don't have as much functions / they are not as powerful as the harder ones ...
Yeah, that's true, but there needs to be something that will encourage amateur webmasters who think they're too stupid to learn a programming language. We've already got enough powerful languages out there. Now we need one with a low learning curve. :)

I have another question...how come they're aren't any functional or logical programming languages used on the web?

Well, I've been doing some research on programming languages today, and I discovered that programming languages could be divided into procedural, functional, and logical. From the descriptions, it appears that C and BASIC are both procedural languages. Since most of us use languages that are based off of these, such as C++, Perl, Python, JavaScript, ASP, PHP, Java, etc., it appears that we have using procedural languages all our life. Now what this means, I am not so sure myself. It's just like how I did object-oriented programming without knowing what it was, LOL. But in any case, it makes me wonder why no one has tried to develop a web equivalent of one of the functional or logical languages.

To make things easy, you need to sacrifice functionality and power.

If you ask me, all of the programming languages are easy. Once you've got the basics of how all of them work, everything is pretty simple. They all use the basic if's and else's, for's etc. so when learning a new language its no surprise.

Thats me anyway ;)

I don't think it gets any easier than php. Php has functions built in for everything. All you need to know is the very basics about variables and whatnot...and then use php.net to search for functions. Very easy.

Originally posted by Canuckkev
I don't think it gets any easier than php. Php has functions built in for everything. All you need to know is the very basics about variables and whatnot...and then use php.net to search for functions. Very easy.
Yes, I agree that PHP is very easy, but some things are unfriendly for beginners, especially the semicolons and the use of == in conditional statements. I think there should be a programming language aimed at getting more people into the world of programming.

Cagez...I was taking a look at some different programming languages and they don't look a thing like the syntax you're used to. This is quick sort in Haskell, for example:

Code:
qsort []     = []
qsort (x:xs) = qsort elts_lt_x ++ [x] ++ qsort elts_greq_x
                 where
                   elts_lt_x   = [y | y <- xs, y < x]
                   elts_greq_x = [y | y <- xs, y >= x]

As opposed to C:

Code:
qsort( a, lo, hi ) int a[], hi, lo;
{
  int h, l, p, t;

if (lo < hi) {