• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Why is it so hard ?

Daray

When we have 100+ free web hosts, some with good some with bad reputation, some offering unlimited hosting even though you should believe in ghosts before going for that company, I'm wondering if it's just me or does everyone spend 1 week+ looking for a free host ?

With so many good hosts going down, or being inactive, it's really hard for someone to choose a host that they can rely on, there are a few that stand out and don't require ads or posting, but they're really hard to find or have sold out...

No wonder they're hard to find. Think about this: How are they gonna pay for the server that they are using for offering Free Hosting ?

No wonder they're hard to find. Think about this: How are they gonna pay for the server that they are using for offering Free Hosting ?

Offering quality paid hosting ? I can't think of another way right now except for ads or p2h, but those 2 aren't always an option for those looking for hosting but are unable to pay monthly for it.

It really has nothing to do with paying for the server as much as it has to do with motivation and dealing with spam/abuse/etc. Free hosts put a lot on the line because if a single person abuses you are already looking at huge problems not to mention jail time if it was serious enough.

As far as offering paid hosting on the side, I don't see anyone doing that. It would double or even quadruple costs and if you are going to offer paid hosting why offer free in the first place.

I offer paid hosting, but I also offer free hosting too. As a matter of fact, at this point in time, 23% of my clients are on some kind of free plan. My free hosting service is by request or invitation only, it's not just a free for all. This makes it possible for me to invite only people who I think would really benefit from the hosting. On the flip side, only those who send me a well composed request will be granted free hosting. This curbs abuse because most scammers/spammers and overall morons will not take the time to create a well thought of request. Any message that I get that looks like, "Can I plz have host 4 my site? k thnx bye" is put directly into the circular file. Generally, I do not allow free domains to be hosted either. This cuts down on abuse too.

It really has nothing to do with paying for the server as much as it has to do with motivation and dealing with spam/abuse/etc. Free hosts put a lot on the line because if a single person abuses you are already looking at huge problems not to mention jail time if it was serious enough.

As far as offering paid hosting on the side, I don't see anyone doing that. It would double or even quadruple costs and if you are going to offer paid hosting why offer free in the first place.

I can understand that it is hard for only one person to manage a server with lots of free clients where some may abuse, but there are scripts for checking accounts, you can hire someone or...select a friend of yours.

When we have 100+ free web hosts, some with good some with bad reputation, some offering unlimited hosting even though you should believe in ghosts before going for that company, I'm wondering if it's just me or does everyone spend 1 week+ looking for a free host ?

With so many good hosts going down, or being inactive, it's really hard for someone to choose a host that they can rely on, there are a few that stand out and don't require ads or posting, but they're really hard to find or have sold out...

I spent almost two years looking for a good free host! : )
But before my big thread, I did spend some 3 weeks too, though for me the time eater was checking TOS. A lot of the older companies 5 years ago used to have really aggressive TOS terms. "Everything you post will become ours to use in any way we see fit", "You must log in every 7 days to keep your account active", and more.

I've spent a lot of time looking for good free host too, since I've registered here, it's been 7 years, lol

The thing is now and days you can get a good budget host for 2$ and not have the hassle. Thats why many elect to do so.

I am a paid host, not a free host, but still I am a member with FWS.
I do offer some free hosting on these forums, if I like a project from someone who is asking for free hosting.

Back