• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Window Vista, Code Name Longhorn

iBrightDev

Jay Street
NLC
NLC
I just got the beta version of Vista. This system is totally AWSOME!!!!! Explorer is like mozilla firefox, and the look, oh my god, it is cool. I think I might keep running it till it is actually released, but may go back to XP Pro just so I dont have to deal with the bugs, but not sure yet. So far, this is the best and most powerfull OS Windows has ever come up with. I suggest everyone to get it and test it at least. :D

jstgermain said:
I just got the beta version of Vista. This system is totally AWSOME!!!!! Explorer is like mozilla firefox, and the look, oh my god, it is cool. I think I might keep running it till it is actually released, but may go back to XP Pro just so I dont have to deal with the bugs, but not sure yet. So far, this is the best and most powerfull OS Windows has ever come up with. I suggest everyone to get it and test it at least. :D

Ok, thats good. Where do I get it? I know I can find it, but if you simply tell me it would make it easier...lol

I hope they make gfx card and cpu drivers that are compatible with it, I got a copy but had to swtich back because I couldn't play games.......:'(

Yes. If you werent invited to beta test it then you should not have it. But basically, it got leaked like most other things like this do and then spread like wildfire. M$ actually requires a key code to this if I am not mistaken.

Johnson (LG) said:
Besides the look, which you can mod XP to look like anyway, what are the major improvements?

The actual major changes is actualy how it operates as an OS. windows completely threw out anything to do with windows and completely re-wrote it. i hear they are even getting rid of the standard c:\ file system and doing something that is different, but will look pretty much the same. no dos, at all. even the setup is completely different. it is actually pretty amazing. but since nothing has been written to be compatable with it yet, i have actually removed it. (the morning after) explorer is even completely different. it is a lot like firfox to tell the truth. but it is also illegal to have it right now without being a registered beta tester, but i got mine. :) anyways, i cant wait for it to actually be released.
sEp said:
I hope they make gfx card and cpu drivers that are compatible with it, I got a copy but had to swtich back because I couldn't play games.......:'(
how old is your gfx card. it set mine up automatically and worked perfectly. didnt even need my dirver disks for my motherboard or anything.

Last edited:
So basicly, when it comes out, people will shell out a hundred bucks for an OS with a new look that does the same exact things only a little different. Gotcha.

The big thing in Vista was the supposedly new file system, but that's not going to happen, at least not for the initial release.

I'll still get it, but only because it's free at my school.

Bruce said:
The big thing in Vista was the supposedly new file system, but that's not going to happen, at least not for the initial release.

I'll still get it, but only because it's free at my school.

Same here, because I'm in the CIS program :)

Well it won't be out until late summer probably, most likely October is my guess kind of like when XP came out.

I will probably get a hookup on it around November 06 from Intel, since every year Intel allows retail employees to buy a processor, motherboard, the latest copy of Windows, and some other software for around $215 TOTAL. This year it was a Pentium D 820 with the mobo, Win XP Pro, and Photoshop and Premiere elements for $215. Next year I imagine they'll bundle Vista with whatever package they come up with.

I will also get the publically available beta that comes out I think in a month or two, and release candidates. Those last for 120 days, which should be enough for me to get a good feel for them. As a Geek Squad agent my priority is to get my hands on Vista early so I can learn how to troubleshoot it and fix it and of course use it so I can use that knowledge for work.

I don't feel like upgrading for the sake of upgrading. I used to be like that, always wanting to get the latest stuff, and sort of still am but I don't get to spend that much time on the computer anymore outside of work.

Conscript said:
Well it won't be out until late summer probably, most likely October is my guess kind of like when XP came out.

I will probably get a hookup on it around November 06 from Intel, since every year Intel allows retail employees to buy a processor, motherboard, the latest copy of Windows, and some other software for around $215 TOTAL. This year it was a Pentium D 820 with the mobo, Win XP Pro, and Photoshop and Premiere elements for $215. Next year I imagine they'll bundle Vista with whatever package they come up with.

I will also get the publically available beta that comes out I think in a month or two, and release candidates. Those last for 120 days, which should be enough for me to get a good feel for them. As a Geek Squad agent my priority is to get my hands on Vista early so I can learn how to troubleshoot it and fix it and of course use it so I can use that knowledge for work.

I don't feel like upgrading for the sake of upgrading. I used to be like that, always wanting to get the latest stuff, and sort of still am but I don't get to spend that much time on the computer anymore outside of work.

it is cool, but i really did not like how the function for a link that has a target="_blank" would actually open a new window, but automatically close the old window. that is a big no no to me. that is why we use the _blank target is to keep them at our site while viewing the other site or pic or whatever it happens to link to. also, i dont like the damn windows security center. that is why i refuse to use the service pack 2 for windows. i think you should be able to remove it or disable it at least. but it does seem to be a more stable system and run really strong. i will more than likely get it if they change a couple thing that i did not like.

jstgermain said:
also, i dont like the damn windows security center. that is why i refuse to use the service pack 2 for windows.
Wow... you know you can disable that under XP, right?

Aside from the fact that Windows works the way its supposed to, I guess that's not any reason to upgrade to sp2.

Back