• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Windows or Linux VPS's

iiPanel

Hello, which OS do you think is more requested for a VPS, speaking from today's customers needs. :)

linux with cpanel is the most requested imo.
I had both a windows and cpanel. Got rid of the cpanel.

Remote desktop > VNC :)
I was using it for the past year while working at this isp call center. damn corporate proxy blocked too much. Even dslreports was blocked, and this at a dsl isp, haha.

I think CPanel would be more needed by the customers, so Linux is the preferred option. Thanks for your suggestions. :)

Its based on what you are offerings.

If you are doing free hosting... Do linux with xPanel or another program like it. cPanel is nice for users, but when you become large it becomes a pain in the butt.

If you are doing paid customers... You need to figure out your market and what you want to offer. Windows hosting is growing faster then ever, but in general linux is the major player right now for cheaper shared hosting.

Good luck.

Mark

What's complex about windows?
This is how I setup my VPS's:

IIS is installed by default. Nothing to do.
Uninstall Microsoft POP3/SMTP
Install Microsoft DNS
Install MRTG
Install SmarterMail
Install SmarterStats
Install AwStats

There, about 2 hours of work. And you'v got a nice complete package.
Or 2 days if its the first time you'r doing it :)

I would say it really depends on your target market. IF you are going for other hosters then of course you will be using linux more. Gaming market favors windows as well as 'local' businesses.

consider who you wish to sell them to and you will have your own answer

Back