• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Windows XP upgrade fu*0red my computer

Rodie

I still don't know why!

It finally came on Friday, and I ran the upgrade, uninstalled any problem software and hardware drivers. Everything was running smooth until the next morning, when I got a "STOP Error" on every boot. Two times I tried deleting the primary DOS partition and re-formatting, and then re-installing, and I got the same STOP error when *installing* XP!

Finally, I took out all the non-essential hardware (my dvd decoder card, sound card, modem, and NIC) and tried to install once again. Finally, it worked.

I can think of only two things that caused it:

1.) It was trying to install the drivers for my DVD decoder card during the installation, and it didn't have them.

2.) My soundcard (SoundBlaster Live Value!) screwed something up. I searched groups.google.com for the particular error I was getting, and somebody mentioned how they removed their sound card during installation, and then re-installed it later, and got XP to work.

Well, XP is actually very sleek, and much more stable than Millenium. But I'd recommend everybody do a thorough backup before they do anything. Luckily, the only thing I lost was about 200 mp3s. It could have been a lot worse.

I paid an extra $50 to have XP installed on my new pc. Hopefully, any hardware or software problems will be worked out before I pick it up....

Originally posted by WorldWarGeneral
I paid an extra $50 to have XP installed on my new pc. Hopefully, any hardware or software problems will be worked out before I pick it up....
You could always return it.

I prefer Windows ME to Windows XP. The problem I got was that LAN suxs, Network Connections hang when I plug in the ethernet modem. Hangs for 2 mins. So I switched back to Windows ME.

Originally posted by trenzterra
I prefer Windows ME to Windows XP. The problem I got was that LAN suxs, Network Connections hang when I plug in the ethernet modem. Hangs for 2 mins. So I switched back to Windows ME.

i've had no problems with XP :)

I had no problems either. And I have SoundBlaster Live Value too ...

Maybe my version (devilsOwn) is better than the retail one :D

Originally posted by trenzterra
Just because a piece of hardware doesn't work for you doesn't mean you should judge the entire OS because of such a tiny problem.

Originally posted by Rodie
I still don't know why!

It finally came on Friday, and I ran the upgrade, uninstalled any problem software and hardware drivers. Everything was running smooth until the next morning, when I got a "STOP Error" on every boot. Two times I tried deleting the primary DOS partition and re-formatting, and then re-installing, and I got the same STOP error when *installing* XP!

Finally, I took out all the non-essential hardware (my dvd decoder card, sound card, modem, and NIC) and tried to install once again. Finally, it worked.

I can think of only two things that caused it:

1.) It was trying to install the drivers for my DVD decoder card during the installation, and it didn't have them.

2.) My soundcard (SoundBlaster Live Value!) screwed something up. I searched groups.google.com for the particular error I was getting, and somebody mentioned how they removed their sound card during installation, and then re-installed it later, and got XP to work.

Well, XP is actually very sleek, and much more stable than Millenium. But I'd recommend everybody do a thorough backup before they do anything. Luckily, the only thing I lost was about 200 mp3s. It could have been a lot worse.
Been there done that, except mine runs smooth :D

Originally posted by Coolin
Just because a piece of hardware doesn't work for you doesn't mean you should judge the entire OS because of such a tiny problem.
I heard XP had lots of networking problems. i can't even find My Network Places there.

When I had XP, everything worked fine for me. My Ethernet card hooked up to my cable modem had nice speeds.

i'd just install Red Hat Linux 7 over windows if there were more computer games for KDE and GNOME. Microsoft should import the AOE series to Linux if they havent already....

Originally posted by HTML-Guru
i'd just install Red Hat Linux 7 over windows if there were more computer games for KDE and GNOME. Microsoft should import the AOE series to Linux if they havent already....
And why would they do that? Why not try using WinE? Or maybe it'll run too slow.

Or just use Starcraft instead.

:)

Back