• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Yay, my computer died

spiralfive said:
You could manually trip the motherboard to make it come on. Open it up and see if there are any LED's lighting up on the motherboard, especially any NIC cards (you could see those outside of the case). If they're on, you know there's something wrong with your power button or motherboard.

To trip the power button, get a flat head screwdriver and touch the two connectors that lead out to the power button (you'll have to remove the wire to do that). If you do it correctly, the computer will come one and you'll know that the power button is screwed up. What kind of case does your computer have?
I don't have any internal leds, not on the mobo and not on the psu itself.
my case is an antec sx630

Well, if it is the power switch you'll be happy to know it costs only $14.95 for a whole new front panel.

Like I said, you could try to jump off the motherboard to turn it on manually, or just buy a new PSU and see if that cures the problem. :)

i wouldnt trust a budget psu

a good one will set me back almost hundred dollars
i'd rather buy a case/psu combo for a couple dollars more :)

I'll try your screwdriver trick when i com back from work spiral, good idea.

I bought a very sexy case with PSU for about $70, it's a very cool case and a nice PSU, so a PSU alone isn't going to run you "almost a hundred" I went out to computerXS a couple months ago, and they gave me a free PSU for an old linux box. Nice people.

A decent PSU will cost you almost a hundred. I wouldn't spend much less than that for a quality 500+ watt PSU.

My (dying) PSU is 420watt budget (cheap) PSU which came with the original RaidMax Scorpio 868 case, until I got an Antec case (think it's a SLK300B). Until recently, I had no trouble out of it.

I might want to mention that it's hard to trip off the mobo connectors, and would suggest trying to trip off the PSU.

You wouldn't happen to know what brand/model of PSU and mobo you have, do you?

some updates on my thing here

I'v tried to turn on the psu itself with no success
i'll actually ripped one of those activity leds from the front of the case, cut the wires, srtipped both ends and plugged the thing instead of the power button connector

plugged power cable, swtiched psu on, and tried to jump it. no results

trying to jump the psu itself using that atx connecor thing yielded no results either.

So I took my mom's hp and brought it in my room, took off the cover and somehow managed to stretch the psu connectors from my case and plugged them into the hp. this hp has a green led on the mobo that indicates power. and it was lit.
however pressing the power button did nothing.
the hp's psu wires were too short to reach into my case. couldnt test that way.

got fed up and brought the hp back in the living room.

came back to my room and plygged everything back.
pressed the power button just to see, and wow, it came on!

and it's been on for a couple minutes now :p
I don't dare to turn the thing off now. it'll have to be up till next tuesday.
friday payday, gotta order case/psu, they dont ship on weekeds. they'll ship on monday and I'll get it on tuesday.

7+days of uptime required.

My psu is a 220W antec. the one that came with the case.

I think it's your motherboard. :) Do you know what brand/model it is? Even though it's a pain to replace, they're really cheap. What kind of CPU does this computer have? The HP computer? Make sure you have that little green wire (if this applies) that Intel chips require, plugged in (square cable from PSU). Other than that, it's hard to say without being there and having the parts to diagnose it.

You may have already done this and said so and I've missed it, but try taking a look inside the case...

Had a very similar problem for the past few days...

tandoc said:
but try taking a look inside the case...
Captain' Obvious has Spoken! :p

Been done. My PSU dosnt turn on another computer.
While this second computer's PSU turns it on no problem.

I think it's safe to assume its a bad PSU :)

Wojtek said:
My psu is a 220W antec. the one that came with the case.

It must be atleast like 5 years old. I never knew Antec made 220W psus... Also, you're running that with a 6600GT? That's likely to pull some serious power. I wouldn't run that with anything less than a quality 350W bare minimum.

6600GT+220w PSU = Asking for trouble.
I'm surprised the Card would actually work with that little power!

I dunno, I powered a Athlon XP 2800+, ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW, x3 Hard Drives, x2 Optical Drives, x4 fans, and a bunch of other crap off a budget PSU.

The only reason I got the 420watt is because iBuyPower (who made the computer) wanted me to see if that was the problem. It wasnt. It was actually (somehow) the Video Card, CPU, Motherboard, and Memory all messed up.... or they replaced all of that, at least.

Antec's website says its a 300W psu, but my sticker says actual output is 220W. Humm.

But it worked fine with the 6600gt card since the day I got it.
And I didnt play any games for the last month, so im pretty sure its not the card that finished up the psu by just displaying stuff on my screen :)

Back