• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

yet another dumb question

trekchick

Somebody please be so nice and tell me what telnet/ssh is, what you use it for besides databases and how do you to use it, preferably under Windows 2000. Step by step for little clueless liberal arts student girls.

I have to set up a database on my hosts sql server using telnet/ssh access.

Thanks.

trekchick

Telnet is a way to communicate with a remote computer. You can run programs on the other computer (which is what you do when you setup a database).
Often used commands are:

ls (shows files in remote directory)
cd (changes directory)
and alot of others. It is unix/linux (depending on what system that is running on the remote computer) language, so check that out and you find alot of info.

And ssh works exactly as telnet (for you), but all information that is sent between you and the remote computer is crypted. So it's more secure and therefor much better to use.

Originally posted by Tobbe
It is unix/linux (depending on what system that is running on the remote computer) language

:whatthe:

That's exactly what I dreaded. I haven't even be able to figure out yet how to save a simple file to disk under Unix, and now I got to learn a whole language that involves that headache system.

:cry2:

Life isn't fair.

trekchick

Back