• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Yikes! My computer keeps restarting itself!

Tishi

Hey... Ive been having this problem for ages now and im REALLY fed up... Basically my computer restarts itself... RANDOMLY. and its even worse when im trying to make a website or im doing web design. does anyone have a clue why it's doing this?
Tishi :confused4

Could be any one of a few things, virus - do a scan, hardware - RAM, CPU, motherboard, PSU or HDD, software busted app.

Try the virus scan first, Blaster causes rebooting.

I think I had a similar problem with the comp of one of my friends. It wasn't blaster since the OS was Windows98. I think it might have been some software incompatibility. Rather than searching for the problem, since no viruses were found, nor spywares, I reinstalled a new version of Windows.
If you can't fix it, reinstall windows, after saving your necessary data, and then make a backup (with ghost) of the OS. There on after, wherever something that pisses you off appears, you can use that backup and have a new OS in less than 5 minutes.
It doesn't worth the time to try to fix whatever problem you may have. If it takes you more than 2 hours to fix the problem then better do what I said.

Just a question, do you have any codecs installed? I had a similar problem with one of the codecs I had. My problems was that whenever I opened WMP or any other movie viewer, everything on my desktop closed (but comp did not reboot).

EDIT: If you use WinXP try using the restore option. Choose a date on which your computer still worked. WARNING: This screws any apps and sometimes files you might have saved/installed after the restore point was made.

Last edited:
Turn OFF your firewall. Having more than one firewall causes PCs to restart (tried it myself :p) Also check your system drivers, your hardware and of course be virus-free :)

well, atleast have 1 firewall on. i just use windows xp's defualt firewall and solve blaster worm

Time for more details on your system and OS methinks :biggrin2: plus anything else you can think of like 'I installed this app recently'

It might be welcia blaster 32 my pc got once attacked by it. install norton antivirus and welchia removal patch off the site. you should give any error messages you recieve.

Tishi said:
Hey... Ive been having this problem for ages now and im REALLY fed up... Basically my computer restarts itself... RANDOMLY. and its even worse when im trying to make a website or im doing web design. does anyone have a clue why it's doing this?
Tishi :confused4

Honest to me, it sounds like your system is overheating, download yourself some software or use the software provided with your motherboard and check out the system temperature... and power... sometimes your system can automatically restart when it overheats. It's likely to be the Blaster worm or some other worm (too many to name) if you get that little error message, in that case then patch Windows and then download the removal tool.

I have the same problem. It is because of to many files running. I try running 4 files at once and bang restarts. Best to do things all at different times. Try it

Definately due to a PSU problem - try lowering your fsb in your bios so your pc runs at a slower speed so less power consumption from the +12v supply.

I suggest getting a PSU with at least 20 amps on the 12v rail ;)

There is however the other popular issue of overheating, to see if it is this (before buying new psu) leave the side panel off ur base unit, this should lower ur temps by about 10 degrees. if the probs still happen then its a psu prob ;)

Last edited:
Front side bus and 12 volt rail :p come on if the PSU is under 300 watts for any modern CPU motherboard config it will possibly have probs. CPU MB and RAM all work off the 5 volt rail through regulators down to 1.8 volt supplied lines for sdram not counting the dual supply voltages required for CPU operation.But that aside there could be a RAM timing issue - go to the BIOS and set fail safe settings, might slow down things a bit but it would confirm hardware/software issues.

The fsb does have a profound effect especially with 333FSB barton chips, I had a 300w Suntek PSU and couldnt run it with 16A on 12v rail, I would always recommend 420w or higher

The FSB is only effected by the 5 volt rail the drives and peripherals need the +- 12 volt rails and it's all mb regulated it would cause errors but not spurious reboots.

So now you are saying that the negative rail is actually used? It's not, it's for ancient computers.

I know my problem was the PSU as when running my 2800+ Barton at 2500+ @ 12.5x147 it would have no problem booting etc, when I upped it to stock speed it would reboot constantly - I wouldn't even be able to get to run a program.
I replaced the PSU to an Ebuyer 550W one and since then I have even been able to oveclock to 3200+ at stock fans/heatsink. So what do you think of that?

I dont think its the power supply because I have another computer in the house... And it never randomly restarts.
But, it (my computer that DOES restart) doesnt show the reboot screen/shutdown screen it just goes blank and makes a tick sound... and comes back on... But from my veiw it looks like restarting :p

Tishi is it the disploay that cuts out and when it returns are the apps still there?

So now you are saying that the negative rail is actually used?
- No that's not what I said.

It's not, it's for ancient computers.
- wrong, it is used by components of the system which would normally run from a differential supply, DSP's/AD convertors, audio subsystems..... as for the rest of it I couldn't give a monkeys :rolleyes2

Back