• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Zoneedit.com Questions

CHR1S

I've set my nameservers on my registrar (Reg2C.com) to zoneedit's. I used the IP addresses to direct to the ip addreses of my nameservers. My site doesn't load up though. Is there any way I can enter the nameservers instead? i went to the nameservers section but it has these. and you can't delete them:
ns3.zoneedit.com 209.61.140.1
ns5.zoneedit.com 207.41.71.245

My nameservers to my site are:
ns1.soniqhost.com 65.51.115.195
ns2.soniqhost.com 216.194.64.67

How do I set this up?

-CHR1S

You are either going to use your host's nameservers and let them handle DNS for your domain *or* use zoneedit (and their nameservers) for DNS and handle the zone file for your domain yourself. It seems you are trying to use *both* nameservers (zoneedit's and your host's), which isn't going to work.

I have it set up fine pointing to zoneedit. I just am having trouble getting it pointed to my webserver.

Originally posted by CHR1S
I've set my nameservers ... to zoneedit's. I used the IP addresses to direct to the ip addreses of my nameservers. My site doesn't load up though. Is there any way I can enter the nameservers instead? i went to the nameservers section but it has these. and you can't delete them:
ns3.zoneedit.com 209.61.140.1
ns5.zoneedit.com 207.41.71.245

My nameservers to my site are:
ns1.soniqhost.com 65.51.115.195
ns2.soniqhost.com 216.194.64.67

How do I set this up?

-CHR1S [/B]
Chris, at your registrar you have to choose the nameservers which will direct your domain. You have chosen zoneedit, so your host's nameservers are out of the picture (the second set you listed above).

From zone edit, you need to set up your DNS zone file. Add an A RECORD with domain.com pointing to the IP of the server, or the dedicated IP of the site - if you have one. You'd then add another A RECORD for www pointing to the same thing (generally). You continue to set up mail (MX RECORDS), etc.

If none of this is familiar then I suggest you read the FAQ at zoneedit. They have a pretty decent explantion of how DNS works and what everything means. It doesn't sound like you are too familiar with how everything works, so you may just want to go back to your registrar and use your host's nameservers (the second set you listed).

DNS for a doain is a three part process (simplified version). Part one is setting the nameservers at your registrar for your domain. This directs the domain to the servers where the next set of directions are stored (your DNS zone file). Your zone file directs your domain to the server where the pages are and directs mail, etc. to the proper server. The last part is that the domain and anything in the zone file must also be set up on the server itself. In other words, you can't direct your domain to Microsoft's servers and somehow magically your domain will work.

You can choose a somewhat more simple redirection type DNS option which simply forwards your URL from zoneedit to some place else (could even be a geocities free account).

If you have a paid host, they can handle DNS for you, and probably should. They've set everything up on teh server, so they know the correct entries for your domain's zone file. You could also request this from them.

You need to know:

Either the server IP (if your domain is name-based), or the dedicated IP of yor site (if the package you signed up for offered a dedicated IP).

You also need to know the IP/hostname of the mail server so you can set up mail service for the domain.

That will at least get you started...

Back