• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

CPanel

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I am actually going to take all of the informative posts in this thread and put together some kind of a tutorial or an archive that I can keep and display on my own site when this thread finally dies.

hmm sounds like a good idea..

okay back to the topic .. the reason some people want to use cpanel is

1. they are newbies
2. they are lazy
3. they dont have the time to write a script for 2 days..

who am i?? i'm all the above .. now i heard a lot of good things about h-sphere i never used it .. i couldnt find any freehost in here that offers it (maybe i didnt look hard enough).. but i would sure like to try it..

deeplist,

I too have been in the time when finding free hosting with CGI access was near impossible. I too agree that people nowadays are starting to become greedy on space and bandwidth. The only reason is because they do not know. I myself own a few websites, and the largest of websites, earning $50/month, uses only around 30mb, and is run by mambo, which takes up 10mb alone. The answer is to educate those who need to know. Yes, back in a few years ago, learning about the internet was harder, but why make it hard for the kids, when it is possible to make it easy for them? Why be selfish?

What I don’t understand is why you think asking "I need cpanel with fantasico" is greedy. CPanel is really today’s standard, which is just like saying “I need Windows XP”. Ensim, Plesk, etc are just like the alternatives like Mac. Giving no Cpanel would actually be more annoying for the administrator.

-S.

snareklutz said:
What I don’t understand is why you think asking "I need cpanel with fantasico" is greedy.

No, asking for cPanel is not greedy, it is ignorant. It is because they do not know any different. Below is a typical request:

Hi, I need host for my web please.

200MB
2GB BW
PHP
mySQL
cPanel
Fantastico

THEN somebody will ask why cPanel is a requirement in their request and they will reply with "because" or "I don't know".

this whole post only points to consumerism. if you look at the things people buy/get, they don't necessarily NEED it. It's just there for the taking so they do it.

justagaguhl said:
this whole post only points to consumerism. if you look at the things people buy/get, they don't necessarily NEED it. It's just there for the taking so they do it.

I couldn't say it better myself!

It's greedy becuase a one year license of cPanel is $450!! And now many hosts on here will be in awe at how much their provider is paying for a reseller. And just because something's available doesn't mean it's at all reliable.

Very true. As deeplist said, asking for cPanel isn't being greedy, just ignorant. Asking for cPanel with Fantastico is just being lazy. Asking for all that for free is even worse.

My therom of free hosting:

Where "r" is the person who requests the hosting and "h" is the host. Where "s" is disk space, "b" is bandwidth, "a" is age, "i" is the person's ignorance factor, "e" is their experience with the web, "k" is the technical knowledge, "p" is the purpose of the proposed site, "c" is the presence of cPanel, and "F" is the presence of Fantastico.

Explination of numbers:
0 = Not Present
1 = Present
2 = Required
3 = Not Required

If s and b are proportional to p and e>2 years and F=3 and c=3 then r="Good Client". If s is unproportional to b and e<2 years and F=2 and c=2 then r="Doesn't need to be with a real host. Should stick with Geocities"

Therom of free hosting as relating to hosts:

If He < 2 years and Hk = Null || Hk < 6 months and Ha <= 17 then host may not be reliable.

Last Revised: November 11, 2005 at 7:24

Some revisions may be made.

Back when we used to be Plesk only and did not provide any Cpanel service,
we often responded to requests on here asking for "Cpanel" and from those
responses, we got many new signups for hosting even though we told
everyone that we were using Plesk exclusively and did not provide Cpanel.

The point that I am trying to make here is that when most users say that
want "Cpanel", they are actually simply saying that they want some kind
of control panel irregardless whether that be Cpanel, Plesk, Ensim, or
some other control panel.

Actually, most people have only heard of, or used cPanel, so they think that cPanel is the only control panel out there. Sad really.

Talking about people wanting too much, I see requests like this all the time:

I need web host for my site plz:

1gb space
100gb of b/w
cPanel & Fantastico
unlimited ftp accounts
unlimited mySQL databases

I do not want 2 do ne forum posts. I need host now plz.

It is people like this ^ that simply burn me up because they are demanding, they don't want to do anything whatsoever, and they don't really know what they need. They basicly look at what everybody else is asking for, and then simply copy them.

The bad requests and things would stop if there weren't so many kiddie hosts willing to host them. New people come and see that people are getting hosted for free and have 2GB disk space and 20GB bandwidth. Then they think "Hey, that must be the norm. I'll request that."

After that, some reseller comes along and offers unlimited space and bandwidth. Because the requester is either dumb and ignorant, or new, they go with it. The cycle then starts over again.

Last edited:
mfisher said:
does anyone know where i can get free cpanel?

Are you joking, or is that a serious question? I can only assume that you are wanting to start a hosting company of your own. And so my points are proven even further. :tired2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back