• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Virginia Shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
unfortunately, you can enhance those people's ability to kill people by putting guns in their hands

This whole argument is null. He legally purchased a gun. He was able to legally purchase it.

What else can we do to deter our gun purchases? You're all making the argument we should do more. What should we do?

There are plenty of people that use a gun for hunting and entertainment (target practice). My dad has a .45 and a few rifles, and shoots them occasionally for entertainment. He's been doing it for years.

It's not gun laws we need to change. You can't stop someone from committing murder, unfortunately.

If the gun wasn't purchased legally, it would've been gotten some other way.

make guns illegal unless you have licence, as simple as that.

If you want to go hunting or ranging shooting, then go and rent a gun at those resorts and return the gun after the sport :)

Even if home owners did have a gun (not many people owned a gun ever in Australia) and shot an intruder, they would be charged, not the intruder.
In Australia you do not have the right to defend yourself in your own home? The intruder has more rights than the person that is in danger. I do not own a gun, but no intruder knows that.

I hate to say it, but schools are going to have to start checking students for weapons before they are allowed to enter the building.

I will tell you that this isn't possible. Virginia Tech has over a hundred buildings, an airport, a power plant... People just do not understand that we're not talking about a really big high school. The place is a small city, and many other colleges are the same way. Metal detectors and cops at all entrances to every building would be ridiculous.

Furthermore, as a former Virginia Tech student -- and more importantly as a human being, I am disgusted at most of the people in this thread for ignoring the fact that there was a TRAGEDY that happened here. Instead of recognizing that, this event is just being used here to fuel a debate about issues that so many of you OBVIOUSLY do not understand. There's already enough jerks in the world like Jack Thompson to pull that kind of stunt. Why any of you would want to stoop to that level I do not understand.

make guns illegal unless you have licence, as simple as that.

If you want to go hunting or ranging shooting, then go and rent a gun at those resorts and return the gun after the sport :)
I have no problem making the licensing process better and stricter. I think that they should make gun owners under go a background check and take a comprehensive training class. My only stipulation would be that the gun haters can not keep adding requirements that would make it so expensive to comply that the ordinary person could not afford to own a gun.

1) Short of turning a University campus into a jail (with only one entrance gate onto the premises with security posted and electric fences) there isn't much more you can do to protect students.

2) Stricter gun control does not equal less crime rate. Some reports show a decline in crime, sure, but what are the variables that is causing this - they can be lurking variable which affects more than 1 aspect and can make it seem like gun control affects crime rates.

3) You can't stop the black market, if it were really that easy don't you think somebody in the world would have done it by now? It can't be done.

4) Everyone owning a gun is also not the solution to crime/murders. It can work in theory but like some things, it can only work in theory.

5) Guns do not kill people on their own! Giving a gun into the hands of a criminal does not make him more dangerous because if he couldn't get a gun legally or at all he simply would have used something else to achieve his goal.

6) I do believe that the law regarding high magazine clips shouldn't have been nulled. The law limited pistols to having only 10-15 bullets per clip but with the law gone, the killer was able to get 30 bullets per clip (approx. 60 bullets in one go as he had 2 guns).

1) Short of turning a University campus into a jail (with only one entrance gate onto the premises with security posted and electric fences) there isn't much more you can do to protect students.

2) Stricter gun control does not equal less crime rate. Some reports show a decline in crime, sure, but what are the variables that is causing this - they can be lurking variable which affects more than 1 aspect and can make it seem like gun control affects crime rates.

3) You can't stop the black market, if it were really that easy don't you think somebody in the world would have done it by now? It can't be done.

4) Everyone owning a gun is also not the solution to crime/murders. It can work in theory but like some things, it can only work in theory.

5) Guns do not kill people on their own! Giving a gun into the hands of a criminal does not make him more dangerous because if he couldn't get a gun legally or at all he simply would have used something else to achieve his goal.

6) I do believe that the law regarding high magazine clips shouldn't have been nulled. The law limited pistols to having only 10-15 bullets per clip but with the law gone, the killer was able to get 30 bullets per clip (approx. 60 bullets in one go as he had 2 guns).

In Australia, there are no "jail-style" security in univeristies and there has been few (if any) gun-related violence in schoolyard/university campuses. Why? Because guns are illegal here if you aren't licenced to own one.

People say guns don't kill people, people do. However, only a very small percentage people in society have access to black markets. I do not believe (and there has been no report in news ) of Cho having access to black markets.
By legalising civilian ownership of guns, you are giving EVERYONE easy access to weaponaries. There is no regulation of guns falling into the wrong hands. Sure, a small proportion of the society have underground association, but the overall percentage is extremely small.

The argument of everyone owning guns so that in the rare circumstances of violence, you can shoot the criminals back does not justify the hugely increased access to dangerous weapons to general public.

Anyway, if I have a choice to live in USA or Australia, you know which one I am going to choose... purely to live longer :p

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned here is Giuliani. I mean what exactly did he do as a mayor that was credited with reducing crime rates and homicides in New York? You guessed it. Gun control helped reduce NY crime.

allanh, your arguments are kind of all over the place....you start by saying "People say guns don't kill people, people do" and then you go to "However, only a very small percentage people in society have access to black markets. "....I fail to see how they connect. Guns killing and black markets are too different topics.

The argument of everyone owning guns so that in the rare circumstances of violence, you can shoot the criminals back does not justify the hugely increased access to dangerous weapons to general public.
I never said that everyone owning guns was a good idea I said it only works in THEORY and not in practice.

By legalising civilian ownership of guns, you are giving EVERYONE easy access to weaponaries. There is no regulation of guns falling into the wrong hands. Sure, a small proportion of the society have underground association, but the overall percentage is extremely small.
The US allows people to own guns if they are 1) a legal citizen 2) have no previous criminal record 3) the seller of the gun deems him/her to be capable

Most countries base gun licenses on the same criterias, not all but most do.

And you know what happened in US history when they tried to make alchole illegal a long time ago? Crime went up, black market took over and nearly destroyed the country. Guns can very quickly turn into the same situation.

Anyway, if I have a choice to live in USA or Australia, you know which one I am going to choose... purely to live longer :p
Very big generalization; very big words.

Another thing I haven't seen mentioned here is Giuliani. I mean what exactly did he do as a mayor that was credited with reducing crime rates and homicides in New York? You guessed it. Gun control helped reduce NY crime.

Need more research to say that Gun Control lowered crimes but if you want to go just by stats then here keep reading.

Action:

1966: New Jersey puts new gun control laws into affect (said to be "the most stringent gun law")
Result:
1968: Murder Rate goes up by 46% and robberies double

Action:
1968: Hawaii increase gun control with very harsh measures
Result:
1977: Murder Rate triples

Action:
1976: Washington DC puts into affect one of the most "restrictive" gun control measures
Result:
Present - Murder Rate rises by 134% since 1976 while other states with more relaxed laws have stayed steady

More Facts:
1) Virginia Beach has a pop. of 400,000, with a very relaxed firearm laws, had the lowest murder rate for many years (approx. 1991)

2) 20% of US murders occure in 4 cities: New York, Chicago, Detroit and Washington, D.C.; each city has the nation's most restrictive and harsh laws on firearms (almost prohibiting private handguns)

3) New York has some of the most restrictive gun laws and yet they alone have 20% of the nations armed robberies.

4) It is illegal to "buy, possess, transport or acquire a handgun" in Washington, DC, and yet they have the HIGHEST muder rate per capita in USA.

Last edited:
Agree laws won't stop people from killing..

It isn't the gun that kills people - people kill people.

Thanks,
Adam

It doesn't have to be one or the other, and it's not. People kill people using guns.

And a brick on a rope would be NOWHERE near as effective as a gun like this gunman had. You might kill a couple and knock out a few more, but you're not going to kill over 30 so quick.

It doesn't have to be one or the other, and it's not. People kill people using guns.

And a brick on a rope would be NOWHERE near as effective as a gun like this gunman had. You might kill a couple and knock out a few more, but you're not going to kill over 30 so quick.

A gun sitting on a table won't kill anyone - but once someone has it in their hands and shoots - that is when it kills..

Same example will work for the brick.....

Thanks,
Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back