• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A goof? Or a good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkBlood

NLC
NLC
Goof or Good?
A Forum Hoster Opinion Thread
By: DarkBlood

============================================================
Wether or not you want a forum, or wether or not you're a forum hoster... you should definately take the time to read this post; since I'll highlight all the aspects on what makes a host goof or good. If you're not interested in such matters, fine by me... I'll just not be interested in your service.

Well, I should get the bad stuff off my chest right away, so the goof stuff is first.​

GOOF #1 -- A Host doesn't allow FTP Access, or doesn't have a File Manager to comphensate. -- This means your service doesn't have one or more of the following: Enough Space for forums, Is hosted by a free service / can't change server settings, Doesn't have SSI, doesn't have rights to do such things.​
GOOF #2 -- The host doesn't have decent support. -- This might mean the service doesn't have enough staff.​
GOOF #3 -- If all else fails, put ads and restrict users even more. -- Not enough space, staff, etc.​

And now for the good stuff (if any):​

GOOD #1 -- If you cannot allow certain things, just use SSI and a File Manager. If you can't do this due to server settings, you can't even host anybody right, and get your OWN server!​
GOOD #2 -- If you can't get boards set up in enough time. Just use a PHP Script so that the PHP Script extracts a ZIP/GZIP/SIT archive to a directory indicated by the directory the user has specified (ACNOVA used to do this).​
GOOD #3 -- Don't rely on people 14 and under, they can't run a forum sometimes, or get members as fast as others; or just plain don't know how to modify PHP/HTML/CSS coding by themselves (sometimes).​
GOOD #4 -- DO NOT allow uploading of PNG/BMP or other non-standard emoticon files through the emoticon upload.​

I am open to anything else. (Note: I might be gone during the week due to High School. Also: 17th B-Day in 9 days of this post!)​
Edited for Spacial Content.

Last edited:
GOOF #1 -- A Host doesn't allow FTP Access, or doesn't have a File Manager to comphensate. -- This means your service doesn't have one or more of the following: Enough Space for forums, Is hosted by a free service / can't change server settings, Doesn't have SSI, doesn't have rights to do such things.

Just a small rant:
SebFlipper's Script IS NOT free, as you are always stating (just want to make that clear)
I know for a fact that I and several other SF Script users have our own dedicated servers with enhough space, bandwidth, SSH(!), and have all the rights to the server.
The only reason noone does what you want is because there is no such premade script available if it was we would be using it (probably).
That's why I have someone developing such, and as I said before it takes time.

Also your idea about some php script extracting a ZIP/GZIP/SIT archive to a specified directory is good, but it's not that easy.
Nowadays people (hosters) like to make a little income to cover there server costs, wich is generated to adds (I prefer adsense or other textlinks as this gives less iterference to the end user).
To enable such adds and also enable FTP is hard, but possible.
That's the main reason why noone is the "let a php scripte xtract sumthing and create a subdomain with a ftp acount method".

Well.. That was a small rant wasn't it, and you got the reply you wanted :classic2:

Actually, the ZIP extraction thing is sometimes easy, if you know what you're doing. Why you ask? Because EXOCrew does it, and ACNOVA used to do it too.

So basically, you can't do it because you don't know how to comprehend how the php script works. If that's the case, I suggest you hop over to http://www.php.net and look up function index in the online documentation.

That's exactly what I'm saying :classic2:
I can't do it.. that's why someone else is developing such for me. But what I was trying to explain is that almost noone has such since it's not available as a product and most people don't have the skills to make such.
Ow and if you think you can be my guest :shame:

Programming a zip/tar extraction utility isn't easy and isn't available a lot on internet. You may find some utilities that use the system commands but they aren't always reliable.

That's why we are sharing our own zip/tar extraction and creation utility available at our exoscripts. We are sharing it to everyone, even our competitors :) and we dont demand anything in return as its free utility!

Whoa, Mike is back from EXOCrew.... But anyway, he's right, if you can download his script then you might be able to succeed in the world. :p

Oy, that reminds me, people are still using multiforums. multiforums restricts source files to ONE BIG directory, and thuse hosts who use that cannot allow users to edit their files. Really a pain in the butt if you ask me.

DarkBlood said:
Oy, that reminds me, people are still using multiforums. multiforums restricts source files to ONE BIG directory, and thuse hosts who use that cannot allow users to edit their files. Really a pain in the butt if you ask me.

What exactly is wrong with using a multiforum script?

All i have seen lately is people moaning about them,some people are happy to have a forum that way.

I use it but i also offer people the chance to have a hosting account if they want to move from the multiforums.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back