• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

A warning for those in the market for a monitor...

Mandrake

NLC
NLC
I would stay away from Envision brand monitors. I bought a new Envision flat screen 17" last September and it just died on me today!:angry2: It's under warranty, but to get it fixed/replaced, I would have to have it shipped to Southern California, and I hate to think what that would cost. :(

If it's still under warrenty, most companies will pay for shipping and handling. Did you call and ask?

Most companies do... but thanks for the advice of not getting Envision. One day and it just died? How did it die? With like sparks in the back?

Thank you for the heads up, i was actually looking at one of their flat screen monitors. I guess i will stay away from them :)

Regards,
Nikki

One of the schools where I live has about 200 of there 17" flat screens. I believe they have not had a problem with them yet. But since yours did go bad, if they don't pay for shipping and it is under warranty I would say they are a bad company. Demand it from them if they don't say anything about it. Most companies will send you a box for it with a little receipt inside to ship it back for free

Originally posted by Giancarlo
Most companies do... but thanks for the advice of not getting Envision. One day and it just died? How did it die? With like sparks in the back?

Normally I leave my computer and just shut off the monitor when I'm not using it. But I do reboot it every so often and the last few times, the monitor did come back on until I turned it off and back on with the switch. Then, this morning I was on the Net and trying to check my e-mail and it just turned off. The green light was still on, but no picture. I tried the switch again several times and no go. Then I hook my old 15" half-dead monitor to it and it comes up fine. The picture's getting blurry on this old one so I need to figure something out fast. I believe Envision's website says they do not pay for shipping. Kinda screwed if you ask me since they don't have a service agent in this state. :angry2:

Originally posted by guitarnerd
That definatly sounds like the cable
that's what's I think too. next time when you're not using the computer, turn off the main switch of the monitor to prevent more trouble...

Make sure the cable is connected properly.

My dad fixed my brother's 15" monitor which had a faulty connection by removing the back... but you have to know what you are doing because you could get electricuted.

Did you try swapping out the cable? I've had monitor problems like this and sometimes it works, and is indeed just the cable, nothing else. Borrow one if you don't have it, or any used computer store has them for cheap.

I'd try that before shipping it. I live in S. Cali so maybe I'd still buy one. They have 17" ones for errrr... like $89 with rebate at CompUSA I think. I've been tempted.

Originally posted by Giancarlo
My dad fixed my brother's 15" monitor which had a faulty connection by removing the back... but you have to know what you are doing because you could get electricuted.
that would be really bad. will you get electricuted if the electricity is off?

Yes, it will take several months if not years for the capacitors in a monitor to loose their charge. If not enough to stop your heart, it will at least give you a nasty shock if you touch them.

My dad is very skillful in fixing electronic things.... he fixed our color TV. The cable connected to the back of the monitor which plugs into your video card might of come loose.

Actually, I hear that capacitors can store charge for up to several years after the monitor has been discarded.

Yeah, but that is not a reccomendation to open it up and fix it. You could really get hurt. Anyway, mandrake needs to try some of this stuff and reply before we find anything out

I thought about the cable, but it was connected to the back just fine and it does not detach from the monitor so I cannot try another one. :(

As for opening it, I'm not even sure what I would be looking for in there.

Back