• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Active Web Hosting - too good to be true?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrpaul

activewebhosting.com
$10/month with no limit on web space and bandwidth. Isn't this hilarious :biggrin2:
Anyone actually try them?

Its pretty hard to offer something that doesn't even exist.

My honest opinion is that you would have to be pretty desperately in need of customers to even think of offering such garbage.

Originally posted by Haze
Its pretty hard to offer something that doesn't even exist.

My honest opinion is that you would have to be pretty desperately in need of customers to even think of offering such garbage.

That is very offensive of you haze.

I have quite a few dedicated server clients offering unlimited data transfer. I would say they their business way better than most hosts here. Why? cause they are getting new servers with us almost every 1 to 2 months. Garbage? I dont think so.

Originally posted by Vegs

That is very offensive of you haze.

I have quite a few dedicated server clients offering unlimited data transfer. I would say they their business way better than most hosts here. Why? cause they are getting new servers with us almost every 1 to 2 months. Garbage? I dont think so.

Now you have started attacking Beau :confused:

Originally posted by MN-Robert

Now you have started attacking Beau :confused:

attacking? I said haze's post is offensive for calling activewebhosting.com offering "garbage" hosting.

robert , can you even read? I wonder....

Originally posted by MN-Robert
It's obvious that it is not possible, Chicken posted a great thread back somewhere about unlimited hosts.

Edit: http://www.freewebspace.net/forums/showthread.php?postid=320204#post320204

:D

Unlimited in hosting terms means all you can use. It is a phrase to show something that is great in numbers. Robert and like most others link unlimited to a physical situation where unlimited can not exist. I am sure The Bible even mention the word Unlimited, are you going to argue with The Bible? Are you going to say The Bible is unreliable? or the stories are fake?

The word unlimited can be bend, the meaning can change according to the situation. It can mean alot, unrestricted.

why keep pressing what you believe in unlimited to others? some may like it and go with it, some dont. It's their choice.

Last edited:
Originally posted by mrpaul
activewebhosting.com
$10/month with no limit on web space and bandwidth.
As with all unlimited hosts, they have their limitations and this one is no different.
c. The use of unlimited traffic and bandwidth is for transmittion of web pages and web page content. This is to include all objects that are used in the proper display of web site content. This does not include software distribution, high activity graphic files, executable distribution, nor compressed file distribution.
http://activewebhosting.com/webhostingcontract.asp

There is a free host that ALWAYS argues that he does provide unlimited, but the limitations in file size and file types would ensure that nobody went close to overloading the server.

Also to the hosts involved in this thread, you might take a look at Todd's post in that "other" thread.

Originally posted by mrpaul
activewebhosting.com
$10/month with no limit on web space and bandwidth. Isn't this hilarious :biggrin2:
Anyone actually try them?

There lots of "unlimited" hosts listed at that price. However, when I come back in 2 months, they're replaced by new ones. I wonder when hosts will finally learn that you need limited plans.

Re: Re: Active Web Hosting - too good to be true?

Originally posted by Archbob
I wonder when hosts will finally learn that you need limited plans.

It works the other way too mate. There are a lot of site owners who insist on going with those providers that offer it. One common reason is because the site owner doesn't want any nasty surprises at the end of the month...but neither does the provider.

Cheers

Gary

Unlimited in hosting terms means all you can use. It is a phrase to show something that is great in numbers. Robert and like most others link unlimited to a physical situation where unlimited can not exist. I am sure The Bible even mention the word Unlimited, are you going to argue with The Bible? Are you going to say The Bible is unreliable? or the stories are fake?

The word unlimited can be bend, the meaning can change according to the situation. It can mean alot, unrestricted.

why keep pressing what you believe in unlimited to others? some may like it and go with it, some dont. It's their choice.

As far as I know, English = English. Webhosts do not have the right to bend words and change its meaning. Just for the record, a little lookup in a dictionairy:

1. unlimited (vs. limited), limitless -- (having no limits in range or scope;)
2. outright, straight-out, unlimited -- (without reservation or exception)
3. inexhaustible, unlimited -- (that cannot be entirely consumed or used up; "an inexhaustible supply of coal")

Don't use The Bible as an argument. We are talking about something physical (allthough you would like us to believe something else). The Bible has nothing to do with webhosting, neither does it has something to do with this 'unlimited' discussion. The Bible represents a higher goal, a religious goal and in religious terms you can speak of unlimited, something that goes beyond the human mind. However, we are talking about webspace and data transfer here ... that is physical and can never be unlimited.

can you hold data transfer? can you hold disk space? You can hold harddisk but certainly not diskspace. but then they did not say unlimited hard drive do they?

try looking up in dictionary for the word unlimited, get a better dictionary. oxford would be good for you.

you still do not get what i mean, I know unlimited physical diskspace does not exist, but in hosting term it means unrestricted. is that clear enough for you?

So if you were my host Vegs, and you were offering me unlimited data transfer on a 1MBit pipe and I tried downloading 2Mbit worth of material. What would happen? I'd be "restricted", "limited" or whatever word you'd like to use to describe it, if not because it's financially unviable for you, then the fact that you haven't the connection to support it. But it certainly would no longer be "Unlimited" as promised.. correct? I'd be limited to about 3.6GB per hour, that's physically limited, by your connection.
Certainly the plug would be pulled on an account long before that for eceonomic reasons.
Unlimited works on the theory that Joe Customer will never use such a huge amounts of resources. But by saying Unlimited you are telling him he can.. Unlimited always has a ceiling.. so does "unrestricted".

Last edited:
well I have heard that activewebhosting.com isn't, well how should I put this, it isn't so great. Infact I have heard that they delete files for no reason. :confused: true or false?

Originally posted by 7de5igns
well I have heard that activewebhosting.com isn't, well how should I put this, it isn't so great. Infact I have heard that they delete files for no reason. :confused: true or false?

It's the same as any other unlimited host. :rolleyes:

Good point, Internations. ;)

1Mbit unlimited, I dont think there is such thing or anyone ever offered that. There is however 1Mbit unrestricted. It means you can use all you want with 1Mbit speed. I couldnt see anything wrong with that.

Originally posted by internations
So if you were my host Vegs, and you were offering me unlimited data transfer on a 1MBit pipe and I tried downloading 2Mbit worth of material. What would happen? I'd be "restricted", "limited" or whatever word you'd like to use to describe it, if not because it's financially unviable for you, then the fact that you haven't the connection to support it. But it certainly would no longer be "Unlimited" as promised.. correct? I'd be limited to about 3.6GB per hour, that's physically limited, by your connection.
Certainly the plug would be pulled on an account long before that for eceonomic reasons.
Unlimited works on the theory that Joe Customer will never use such a huge amounts of resources. But by saying Unlimited you are telling him he can.. Unlimited always has a ceiling.. so does "unrestricted".

If it means "alot", then there's obviously a limit.

Well, alot seems to mean like 1.5GB a month or less for many unlimited hosts. Not too much if you ask me.

you still do not get what i mean, I know unlimited physical diskspace does not exist, but in hosting term it means unrestricted. is that clear enough for you?
Unlimited hosts have the most extensive restictions one could ever find in the industry. If they don't, then they are just plain idiots who will be burned and learn on day.

You cannot offer an unlimited amount of something (be it a service or a product) for a fixed price. It is misleading and no host offers it (they say they do...) Is this clear enough for you?

Argue it if you'd like (personally I don't care)...

And they all lie. Getting new servers doen't prove they aren't lying. I bet you have customers who also beleive in purple monkeys who live in their attic, but it don't make it real my friend.

The only way they offer 'unlimited' data transfer is if they restrict it to death. Anyone needing high amounts of data transfer is alweys better going to a host that doesn't lie. Always.

As I said, feel free to argue it until you are blue in the face, as it will only make you look like a fool. I especially like, "In hosting, unlimited means..." -which is common. It seems hosts like to redefine words that already have accepted meanings to suit themselves. *snicker*

Edit: Bahh, this was locked (for members) and I didn't notice and replied. Ahh well, leaving the post, point is the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back