• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

All those who enjoy their privacy or hate microsoft - read

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. Open Source is a bigger vulnerability than Microsoft will ever have
2. Smart people don't waste hours trying to get a program to run on an OS it isn't ment for. Dumb people can't get it to run.
3. Microsoft programmers are way ahead of *nix.
4. For each user that may go to Linux I would bet easily that 10 people start using windows each day.
5. Microsoft just took over the real industry with .NET...as I have said Microsoft doesn't care about rotten little brats like the most of us. Those of us who have jobs and careers realize that the world relies on Windows a lot more than Linux
6. *Nix and free BSD are projects where Windows is a product...
7. Name something logical that linux can do that windows can't...just out of curiousity.

I've got much more

Originally posted by guitarnerd
2. Smart people don't waste hours trying to get a program to run on an OS it isn't ment for. Dumb people can't get it to run.
4. For each user that may go to Linux I would bet easily that 10 people start using windows each day.
5. Microsoft just took over the real industry with .NET...as I have said Microsoft doesn't care about rotten little brats like the most of us. Those of us who have jobs and careers realize that the world relies on Windows a lot more than Linux
7. Name something logical that linux can do that windows can't...just out of curiousity.

I've got much more

Reply to #6: OK If you mean 4.4BSD, it still wont fit. Tell me where windows is a product in any of the *BSDs.

Reply to #5: I haven't heard a lick of .NET except from people on this forum. Real popular, huh?

Reply to #7: OK, Linux, and *nix in general, can stay up much much longer than windows. It's also very secure.

General Reply: When did you convert to Microsoftism? I'll shutup now.

Originally posted by Ben
General Reply: When did you convert to Microsoftism? I'll shutup now.

When I found out how much better it was.

You'd be surprised how much has to do with .NET. You have the .NET framework haven't you. I know this is going to be argued against but ASP.NET can do more than any other web language

I've got much more
1. OK. I agree.
2. No comments.
3. Not really
4. Yeah, that's monopoly
5. *Nix is still better.
6. That's why we like it.
7. More stable, and some compilers etc. are free on Linux and can't run on Windows. And BitchX runs on Linux and not windows.

I've got much more

1) Open source gives your much more customization and control of your system. I'm guessing you haven't heard of Linux From Scratch which basically, you build your Linux distro from the floor up.

2) And this has to do with anything? I'd like to see any windows user open up a .bin file or something.

3) Yea, that's why they have so many patches and security holes.

4) This has nothing to do with our debate here. This is simple market share, since Microsoft owns 95% of it. *cough*monopoly*cough* :rolleyes:

5) Mainly because Microsoft has tech support and all that crap.

6) Well, technically, Windows isn't a finished project either.

7) Encryption.

[edit] I'm not going to switch over to .asp simply for the fact because I don't need to. At the moment, Php would suffice for me.

So you just told me support is crap...yeah ok.

1. Windows has encryption, I don't think you know what it means or you meant something else by it.

2. There are hundreds of free compilers for windows, way more than there are or will ever be on *nix

3. There is no aspect of *nix that is better than an equal aspect on windows

4. My piece of crap server runs IIS, Mercury32, SQL Server 7.0, hosts 3 domains and a few other sites 24/7 days a week 365 days a year. And has NEVER once crashed. Except with an exception that my SMTP server was hacked because I allowed anonymous access (my fault)

5. So again name something I could do in *nix that I couldn't do in windows

6. Here are a few things for you:
I can build my code behinds so there if you were lucky enough to get my source for a web page, you still couldn't view it because it was encoded

Have user support that to you is "crap"

Have support for almost every bit of software and hardware.

Simple to use and more effective

Originally posted by Daniel

[edit] I'm not going to switch over to .asp simply for the fact because I don't need to. At the moment, Php would suffice for me.

ASP.NET and .NET itself are two different beasts. You can use .NET to create major applications, even operating systems. Can PHP can be used to do that?

And yeah, Windows can do EVERYTHING that Linux can do (even encryption), the only thing mattered in which one can do any particular job better.

Originally posted by aphel aura
ASP.NET and .NET itself are two different beasts. You can use .NET to create major applications, even operating systems. Can PHP can be used to do that?

And yeah, Windows can do EVERYTHING that Linux can do (even encryption), the only thing mattered in which one can do any particular job better.

Yes the same applies for ASP.NET and ASP they are two completely different things.

I can literally create anything and make it run over http with asp.net. With asp.NET you can use C#, JavaScript, VB.NET, or even C++, and use it to it's fully ability just about. There is no competition and yeah unless Linux does something outstanding which isn't going to happen, a lot more stuff will be using windows...

Why? Because it is simply better in every way

There is no competition

Exactly my ----ing point. Everyone uses Windows because of market influence.

Now Windows does have encryption, but just not at the same level as Linux.

I'm certain that if you run apache, you'd be saving more cpu resources on that peice of crap server.

Now as for support being crap...I wasn't talking about Business support which is generally why most companies go to Windows.

I can build my code behinds so there if you were lucky enough to get my source for a web page, you still couldn't view it because it was encoded

And the same can't be done in Linux? :rolleyes:

---- it, I'm not going to argue anymore. It's like comparing apples and orange(not in the sense which is one is healthier). Which one do you prefer?

Sure, windows has encryption. That P.O.S. LanMan encryption.

OK, Guitarnerd. *pulls him over and starts to halfway whisper*
The only reason there aren't 10 million compilers for *nix, is that GCC and it's add-ons are enough for anything.

Originally posted by Ben
Sure, windows has encryption. That P.O.S. LanMan encryption.

OK, Guitarnerd. *pulls him over and starts to halfway whisper*
The only reason there aren't 10 million compilers for *nix, is that GCC and it's add-ons are enough for anything.

Visual Studio is all you need to...

Windows has all you need. and when you want more you can have that too

Visual Studio is all you need to...

Windows has all you need. and when you want more you can have that too
GCC is free. Visual Studio can cost upwards of $1000.

Originally posted by Ben
GCC is free. Visual Studio can cost upwards of $1000.

My version of Visual Studio .NET with SQL Server totals out to about $3000 +

You got to think though.

You have to pay money to make money. You aren't going to make very much at all programming for *nix

if you program for microsoft/windows OS it is a more promising career and that $3000 or so can pay off very easily

My version of Visual Studio .NET with SQL Server totals out to about $3000 +

You got to think though.

You have to pay money to make money. You aren't going to make very much at all programming for *nix

if you program for microsoft/windows OS it is a more promising career and that $3000 or so can pay off very easily
Uh, you CAN get money programming for *nix. Get hired by Solaris, Redhat, Suse, Mandrakesoft, etc. and you can make a lot of money. Or if you make a really good program you could commercialize it. There's no stopping anyone from making money programming on *nix. And who said you had to buy windows to program on windows? You get hired by a company and use their computers.

what is most likely to be sold or bought more

An application for windows or for linux

I am going to bet the windows application will be sold at least 100x more thus making 100x more money

what is most likely to be sold or bought more

An application for windows or for linux

I am going to bet the windows application will be sold at least 100x more thus making 100x more money
Not if it's a program which will help make the transition from Windows to *nix. Take WINE for example. I bet if they went commercial, they would make a crapload of money off of people making the transition betweek windows and unix.

[edit]
Another example would be the server market.

Originally posted by Ben
Not if it's a program which will help make the transition from Windows to *nix. Take WINE for example. I bet if they went commercial, they would make a crapload of money off of people making the transition betweek windows and unix.

Weren't you all just telling me how "Microsoft stole there ui from apple" and "They stole there stuff from Xerox"

Now you are basically saying "if they make it more like windows it would sell better"

sounds like hypocracy to me

Weren't you all just telling me how "Microsoft stole there ui from apple" and "They stole there stuff from Xerox"

Now you are basically saying "if they make it more like windows it would sell better"

sounds like hypocracy to me
People would still be using their favorite windows program, but they would be under UNIX. Tell me how MS and their GUI has anything to do with this.

And I never said anything would sell better. You're turning into a certain banned argentinian!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back