• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

anyone know how to format a laptop?

Weapon

NLC
NLC
Okay I brought a laptop of a friend the other day, but you see it doesn't have a cdrom drive so you can't use the win98 cd to install win98 and I am not sure if there is a diskette one either can anyone help?

How old's that laptop? You don't see many laptops these days that don't have a CD-ROM and a floppy drive. In fact, I can't find any!

I say that that laptop is useless - hell, no CD-ROM?! A dud. Throw it away and buy a new one, or get a desktop.

You could allways setup a mini network between two computers and use the cd-rom on the other computer to run the win98 cd rom.

Don't install windows98!!!! Its CRAP!!!!! Sell it again and use the money to buy a new computer (but you'll need another source of money if you're buying a new one). The new computer would probably have win2000 or winME preinstalled on it. But 98 is just plain CRAP!!!!!

Originally posted by Koolguy
You could allways setup a mini network between two computers and use the cd-rom on the other computer to run the win98 cd rom.
And how would I do this?

Originally posted by syanet
98 is a whole lot better than ME.
I also agree, the new versions of Microsoft products get worse and worse. Especially the operating systems. I'm never gonna get Windows XP.

Originally posted by Weapon
And how would I do this?

First of all you need another computer with a cd-rom..

Then hook them up with a nic card and a hub and you got a mini network.

3.11 for Workgroups was real nice! I've used it until the end of 1999 as well..

98 is plain shit.

2k is okay, so is NT.

ME is the best one that I've dealt with... Much better than my experiences with 98... I've never used 2000 though, so I don't know how it runs.

Originally posted by Weapon
And how would I do this?

First of all you need another computer with a cd-rom..

Then hook them up with a nic card and a hub and you got a mini network.

Got a nice solution in here: if the laptop has an USB connection (maybe to old?) you can connect them with a USB cable. I use a special one, it works like a tru network.
[edited]
Oh yeh, win98 is waaaayyyyy better then ME. ME keeps on having problems, no drivers,....

The problem is, when you format, you got nothing on your computer. How are you supposed to transfer the files when there are no drivers for the NIC/USB whatever?

----------------Gayowulf's Method Of Formatting Compact Personal Computing Systems---------

If it has no cd drive throw it out the window. or sell it to some kid.

If it does have a cd drive and is brand new throw it out the window. or if it was given to you, sell it so you can buy a real computer.

If you bought and are quite attached to it deal with the effects of having strong electromagnetic fields sitting on your lap in close proximity too you know what.

If some guy sold you a laptop without a cd drive. throw it out the window.

If you give you kid a laptop and it dissapears and is replaced with a shiny new desktop, or compct car. throw him/her out window.

If you buy an old laptop from a guy with deformed kids, you know he really loved his compact personal computing device

Back