• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Backing Up My Computer...

Christopher

I need to know if there is an easy way to backup my computer. I have WinME right now, but I want to install Win2000, but I still want all of my old progs, is this possible?

You will still have your old programs there, but they will not be shown on the desktop as Win2k will replace all of WinME. I thought the same when I was installing Win2k over Win98, but all of the shortcuts disappeared, and everything on the desktop and my documents folder. However anything out of the Windows Directory does not disappear.

Umm you misunderstood. All your programs outside of the Windows directory will be spared. Anything in the windows directory including screensavers and cursors will be deleted.

Oh! So, do I just "upgrade" to the Win2000 or do I do a "clean install"?

I heard if I upgrade, it screws stuff up...?

Originally posted by phreak888
Oh! So, do I just "upgrade" to the Win2000 or do I do a "clean install"?

I heard if I upgrade, it screws stuff up...?

You can do an upgrade but it might not work. When I upgraded it didn't work and I had to do a clean install.

I suggest you do a clean install, moving important things onto disks perhaps.

if you use clean install, maybe you could install it to another partition so you can move things over.

Originally posted by trenzterra
when i did clean install from ME to XP, all my programs were gone.

This is what will happen: The setup program will wipe out everything and all partitions. You can make partitions again on the NTFS when the install is done.

Also your programs have a lot of imporant DLL Files they install to the windows directory, so many of your programs won't function properly when you do a clean install, and move them back.

Originally posted by Giancarlo

This is what will happen: The setup program will wipe out everything and all partitions. You can make partitions again on the NTFS when the install is done.

Also your programs have a lot of imporant DLL Files they install to the windows directory, so many of your programs won't function properly when you do a clean install, and move them back.
but for me everything was deleted, and I have to install everything all over again.

Originally posted by trenzterra
but for me everything was deleted, and I have to install everything all over again.

I KNOW THAT. But I do not recommend backing up programs. A lot of these programs install important files to Windows that get wiped out, and that could cause them not to work. Kapiche? :rolleyes:

Edit: There I go on... I know I am so similar to Justin (QAF), I am a brat.

Originally posted by Giancarlo

I KNOW THAT. But I do not recommend backing up programs. A lot of these programs install important files to Windows that get wiped out, and that could cause them not to work. Kapiche? :rolleyes:

Edit: There I go on... I know I am so similar to Justin (QAF), I am a brat.
so how the hell is he going to backup his info?

yes, i recemend a partition, i did that a few formats ago, it doesnt save the programs but you can put the exe's on the partition

if you have to format again, just do the c drive

Yes, but many of these programs require DLL files to be copied to the Windows directory, which are lost in the install. Therefore they will not function.

I don't know how many times I have to say this.

Back