• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Best OS to set up webserver?

saikosys

What is the best Windows version to install for webserver applications? my pc is a pIII 1 ghz 256mb...

The webserver is just a thingy for localy testing.....

Well if it's just for local testing, your current version of Windows would do fine. There's no use going out and buying, say, Win2k Server or something if it's just for testing.

i dont think it really matters what version on windows your running, i've ran web servers on win98 and winxp and they both ran fine.

If your running a public server, you may want to run windows 2000 Server. Its more secure that way. but if you just want to test stuff out for your self, I would go with any version of windows you can put on the server.

Pardon, but did I hear the words "Windows 2000 Server" and "secure" together? :rolleyes:
Yeah, it kinda depends on what you're using it for. I have a test server (Apache 1.3x) on Windows XP that runs fine. Well, sort of fine, I have to manually start it but that's IIS's fault when I tested that. I have since uninstalled it but the problem persists. So don't try a MS server with a non-MS server, the MS server will get jealous and knock it over a cliff :)

Last edited:
Another option is put an old box in the corner, install some linux and let it sit and serve. Apache / PHP / MySQL etc - for a long time i had a P120 cyrix / 32 mb of ram, sitting in the corner doing its thing.

Perhaps you are after asp, but if you dont have a preference go with the above setup - you will learn some great admin skills and have a stable development box.

suggestion: if you are going to use iis on w2k pro or winxp pro, dont. It can handle only 10 requests at a time.

Use apache on Win2k if you don't feel like learning unix.

Otherwise use Apache on UNIX UNIX UNIX UNIX UNIX!

BSD Unix:
OpenBSD -- One remote hole in the default install in nearly six years!
FreeBSD -- Ain't gonna get any more stable.
NetBSD -- run it on everything from an i386+ to a Dreamcast.

Linux:
go to F_ckmicrosoft.com (replace the _ with a u) and look to the left. Linux galore, and more.

Back