• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

best solution for my busy forum?

mrpaul

Has anyone tried this host? I have a fast growing forum costing me too much money and I'm thinking of switching to this host with this plan:

http://smartconsumers.infinology.com/en_hostc.htm

$50 setup fee + $9.95/month (paid yearly) = $169.40 total

9gigs storage
50gigs/month bandwidth
PHP 4

Downside: No MySql

But if I use a php board like edgeboard that does not require MySql I think this plan would be absolutley perfect for my busy forum. This would save me tons of money. What do you think?

you can get sql free at freesql.org, if they are still around. The price above is pretty cheap.

I would be very cautious about going with something that cheap.
In an industry where $1/GB of bandwidth is cheap, selling it for 20 cents looks a bit "too good to be true". As the saying goes, you get what you pay for.

Go with venturesonline, they host alot of big boards, and the speed to them (when I visit) are great.

Originally posted by MN-Robert
Go with venturesonline, they host alot of big boards, and the speed to them (when I visit) are great.

Another vote for venturesonline, very quick repsonse on their helpdesk, been with them a month now on their V500 virtual host package.

If you have a busy board, don't go with that host. In fact for a busy board I suggest:

1. Un server dedicado
2. Un Server co-lo

Originally posted by Vegs
you can get sql free at freesql.org, if they are still around. The price above is pretty cheap.

First of all, freesql.org runs off a cable connection, second; it doesn't allow forums, third; it sucks.

If you have a big forum, get a dedicated server...

Originally posted by Daniel

First of all, freesql.org runs off a cable connection, second; it doesn't allow forums, third; it sucks.

If you have a big forum, get a dedicated server...

Yep, dedicated server or Co-Lo.

Originally posted by Daniel
Co-lo ends up costing more than a dedicated server...

That's right it does, because your not getting some crappy ($50-$300 special hardware discount junk). Your getting a server you know has no problems, and should last you a long time (or until you outgrow it).

Originally posted by Archbob
If you have a busy board, don't go with that host. In fact for a busy board I suggest:

1. Un server dedicado
2. Un Server co-lo

Por Que en espanol?

Co-Lo does cost more then dedicated server...but when you think about, the quality of the hardware is usually supperior.

Originally posted by Vegs

Whatever you do, if you want to run a serious website, never ever use free mysql databases: they are not stabile and you can't complain if something goes wrong.
I have used it myself and it had to suffer major downtimes.

Try to contact the host to see if you can work out a deal with them regarding a mysql database. Also ... try not to host the forums without mysql ... it will make your forums slower!

Back