• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Big Problems! (School Computers)

DarkBlood

NLC
NLC
I have major problems with this browser plug-in known as Mirar Toolbar. Although I just un-installed it BY CHANCE (via workstation mode) a few weeks back. It's now back AGAIN, but this time it's brought this weird Download.Trojan (as Symantic [Old] Anti-Virus calls it) but that cannot be deleted because of it's status Access Denied.

Any thoughts on what I should do? It's getting REALLY annoying. By the way, I cannot do any of the following:
  • Log onto the workstation as I did last time
  • Un-Install it via IE, or hide it.
  • Block Pop-Ups (We're all using WinXP SP1, SP2 cannot be used because it has MANY issues with Novell 3.2)

and MANY other things.

I've done this before, but they don't give a damn really. Re-Imaging is all what we do here. Quite frankly, I think it's a load of bull really. -_-

Reimaging is more than adequate, when paired with properly configured GPOs.

It sounds like your system admin is just clueless.

You should also check the p0rn thread Bruce, it may give you some more clues as to what server type and type of firewall/blocking we use. :S I can't wait to get out of these comps.

If your sys admin won't listen, go to his superiors. There's a security hole in Windows 2000 that you may be able to exploit if you're using Win 2000. I had to patch it up a couple of months ago at work.

• In IE, go to Tools > Internet Options
  • Under the General tab, look under "Temporary Internet Files"
  • Settings
  • Click on View Files or View Objects. Doesn't matter which
  • You now have (almost) unrestricted roam over C:\

Tree said:
If your sys admin won't listen, go to his superiors. There's a security hole in Windows 2000 that you may be able to exploit if you're using Win 2000. I had to patch it up a couple of months ago at work.

• In IE, go to Tools > Internet Options
  • Under the General tab, look under "Temporary Internet Files"
  • Settings
  • Click on View Files or View Objects. Doesn't matter which
  • You now have (almost) unrestricted roam over C:\

Can't change anything in there. Locked out. And it says "Access to C:\ is disallowed."

At my school, the computers check the HDD for changes at each start up, meaning that no matter what u do with the comps, once you restart, they go back to their original ways. Could this be the case in your school?

www.cooleon.us said:
At my school, the computers check the HDD for changes at each start up, meaning that no matter what u do with the comps, once you restart, they go back to their original ways. Could this be the case in your school?

Nope, never changes on restart. :shame:

Reimage it, or if it is insured drop it so the school has to replace it. My school has a great computer guy and he will re image and restore the backup in 30min. He also loads games on it for us aswell

zx4host said:
Reimage it, or if it is insured drop it so the school has to replace it. My school has a great computer guy and he will re image and restore the backup in 30min. He also loads games on it for us aswell

lol i like computer guys like that. I said to him why was a website was blocked, and he said 'just go to it in a proxy'.

Looks like the mirar toolbar isn't allowing me to pop-up a window and view the page. Everytime it does this, it says that server cannot be found. I have to manually open up a new browser window without the toolbar by clicking on a folder on the desktop.

Also, the trojan file is in C:\WINDOWS\System32, Mirar Toolbar is in C:\Program Files.

Without workstation login, I can't get rid of these. And I can't uninstall via the Control Panel, because to uninstall Mirar Toolbar, I need to fill out a form when I click the uninstall button... the form cannot be filled out because there isn't an e-mail field (Which is required)

Talk to your tech guy, seriously. Or just switch computers. The problem should just be on that computer, if they are set up the same as in my school's network. But who knows.

Everyone, here is the image that I was going to show T.M. on how the server here blocks everything. (in this case, it was the error weighted phrase limit exceeded in the "p0rn allowed at school?!" thread.)

squidboxblockedit3sn.png

Back