• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

cant delete file.

coldturkey

I have to get rid of a file but it just wont delete.

I try to scan the file and it says it doesnt exist.

It says its 20kb but then when i look lin properties it says 0bytes.

I cant rename it, over-write it, nothing.

How can i get rid of it!!??

Im running windows XP home, please help.

Re: ...

Originally posted by _Street_Fighter
once that happened to me and i tried deleting it after i restarted the comp and it work...

- SF
yeah try that too, but if you still can't delete it, run in dos mode and go to the dir and then del 'filename'

how do you do spaces in the filename?
Its a long filename, with bob being the first word.

It just says "could not find bob"

Is this in DOS? Then you would enter in bob*.* (replace last * with the file extension eg txt, jpg, gif etc

Actually if you have a space there, make it bo*.*

Last edited:
how do you do spaces in the filename?
If it's Window's DOS (as opposed to DOS DOS), then to use long filenames you can surround it in quotes. So, something like:

del "bob two three.txt"

In DOS DOS, use the first six non-space characters, add ~1, then the extension. In other words:

del bobtwo~1.txt

If more than one filename has the first six characters of "bobtwo" then for one you'll need to add ~1 and the other ~2. Don't ask me how to determine which is which, the problem's never cropped up for me.

Actually, that might be Windows DOS too, considering that in DOS DOS you shouldn't have long filenames to begin with, but I think that would work.

Back