• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Community feedback

You all need to just relax a little. This is meant to be a 'community' forum. I spend a little time away and all HELL breaks loose!?

Feedback as Peo has said is being looked at, where's there a purpose for things like:

Hey Peo, have you ever learned to ignore things?

Just cause people can throw names and labels doesn't mean you have to be a little ----- about it, grow up... You're the OWNER, deal with the problems of the forum instead of saying ---- it to feedback because it labels or calls a name.

Read between the lines, literally

YES, I haven't read every single page because I began to yawn mid-page 2 but whilst FWS is a community that's not growing too well IMO - it's a community that should be prospering and I'm a proud NLC-spam-moron-been-here-too-long user!

Good night, god bless!

Here's an idea. Instead of word filters, how about just actively moderating and deleting offending posts, and giving those members infractions? A forum that is actively moderated should never need word filters. I don't have filters on a single forum I help manage, because a moderator will get any offending post within an hour or two, often times much less than that.

The most effective way to stop this has been moderating the first couple of posts new members post. It reduced this problem greatly. Now we still get those offers. We get on average 2 such posts per day and most of the time it's removed within an hour. So, it's not as big of a problem as it used to be but it's still a problem. I'll admit we can get better at this and we intend to do that.

We do a lot of moderating of posts before any member sees them. You'd be surprised the amount of spam we have removed over time. Maybe we should stop moderating the first posts of new members so you can see that we are very actively moderating :angel:

We do a lot of moderating of posts before any member sees them. You'd be surprised the amount of spam we have removed over time. Maybe we should stop moderating the first posts of new members so you can see that we are very actively moderating :angel:

I don't doubt it. I'm just saying, a word filter should never be needed if you really are. Talks of turning "unlimited" into "limited" or what have you shouldn't be needed at all, since those posts would never be up for more than an hour or two, right? ;)

In an ideal world. The more active mods live in two different time zones to you and have a life away from the internet ;) There are times a (not in moderation queue) post isn't even up for a minute before it is gone. so overall it balances out.

In an ideal world. The more active mods live in two different time zones to you and have a life away from the internet ;) There are times a (not in moderation queue) post isn't even up for a minute before it is gone. so overall it balances out.

What is this ... this... LIFE thingie you are talking about??? :ninja:

Nothing needs to be ideal. If the only two active moderators are in different time zones, then it's time to add more moderators. I realize you are doing just that.

My point is that this isn't rocket science, nor do you have to worry about lives away from the Internet when you have an ACTIVE MODERATOR TEAM...not an active moderator...not two active moderators...but a team of active moderators who will actually visit the site regularly and take care of the ridiculous posts.

I'm not really sure why it took this long to figure that very simple concept out, but at least that's what you guys are doing now, which is good to see.

For the "Unlimited" to be auto filter and change to "--limited" thing, lets try and see how it goes.
Like what Tao had said, we shouldn't allow any kinds of "Unlimited" thing here.
From what I see, even "Unlimited" MySQL databases is not logic, as no one will going to use up to a few hundreds databases in an account that only have 5-10GB space quota, right?

From what I see, even "Unlimited" MySQL databases is not logic, as no one will going to use up to a few hundreds databases in an account that only have 5-10GB space quota, right?

Databases can take up very little space. I designed a fairly simple site for a client a couple years ago with over 20 databases, just for the sake of keeping things easy and separated.

I don't have as much of a problem with unlimited databases, email addresses, etc., because they are "unlimited" within a given container. That container is the disk space, bandwidth, and inode allowance (if any exists). It's just that it's very difficult to put a number on such a thing. Another example is a former client who had well over 10,000 email forwarders, and probably an equal number of actual email "boxes." What number do you put on such a plan? You could say 10,000 email addresses. Maybe a million? Maybe 20 million? Or you could just say that you can create as many email addresses as you want, within the given disk space and bandwidth.

Same goes for unmetered. The site rules here are completely incorrect in that there is no such thing as unmetered. There is. How I personally differentiate between "unlimited" and "unmetered" is that unmetered is normally within a given, clearly-defined container. That is, a dedicated server comes with 100 mbps unmetered shared connection between 4 servers. What does that mean? You can use as much bandwidth as you want, up to the given container, which in this example is 100mbps shared with 3 other servers.

You could have a 100mbps "unmetered" dedicated connection. You could just as easily call it 29.8-some odd TB of bandwidth/transfer per month, or you could just call it "unmetered", so long as the given limit is defined.

Believe it or not, as speeds get faster, it can actually be more convenient to define the connection as "unmetered" and then note the limits, then it would be to say 305,939 GB of transfer per month, as would be the case with a dedicated gigabit connection.

I assure you I'm one of the biggest "unlimited" haters out there, but there are actually times, when distinguished appropriately, that it can make sense. Unlimited disk space or bandwidth (with no pipe size) can never make sense.

Just ban the friggin word altogether. There really is no need for discussion on Unlimited when 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of anything hosting related cannot have unlimited right? No one needs 1 million subdomains, email accounts, MySQL databases, etc. Same thing with Unmetered.

If it is in the rules as not allowed, simply ban the word, period.

Same thing with Unmetered.

Well, no...not the same thing with unmetered. I think you missed my point. Perhaps another example will help.

Ex.

I set my Xen VPS servers up on a dedicated server with 100 mbps dedicated connection. That 100mbps pipe is all mine, not shared with other servers. To make things really simple, we'll say it has 8GB RAM, and after overhead, maybe 900GB of hard drive free space.

For simplicity sake, we're also going to assume that I only have one VPS plan, so to avoid overselling, I'm going to want to split the resources up equally.

Plan:
100GB disk space
1GB RAM
?? Bandwidth

Hmmmm...how would I divide the bandwidth? Well, the 100mbps pipe will provide around 30.5 Terabytes of data incoming and outgoing, in a frictionless, theoretically world. So to be safe, we'll knock it down to 25 TB incoming, 25 TB outgoing. So split between the 8 clients, we can offer each client 6.25TB of bandwidth (transfer, really) and still be safe.

So everyone on my server is happy. They're happily hosting websites and transferring files, but let's say 4 of the 8 clients only use 1TB of transfer on average per month. A good chunk of the available bandwidth each month would be going completely unused on the server.

I'm paying for the dedicated pipe every month regardless of how much it gets utilized, so why not let the clients use it? Why not offer the clients 100mbps unmetered bandwidth on each VPS, noting that the connection is split between 8 accounts? There's your cap. Or even call it unmetered with a set minimum amount, i.e. 6TB burstable to 100mbps beyond that? Several of the accounts might then quite easily be able to go beyond the 6.25TB, and utilize the available bandwidth that the other accounts aren't using.

Perhaps one of the "no unmetered at any time...EVER!" folk can come up with a set bandwidth plan for the above scenario, that would allow the full pipe to be utilized? Well...no, don't bother, because you can't, without simply overselling. ;)

As I'm hoping you can clearly see now, it's perfectly acceptable to offer unmetered connections (with a set cap) at the dedicated and VPS server levels. You could technically do it with shared and reseller hosting as well, but there are just WAY too many factors, the biggest being the amount of clients. What are you going to say, unmetered 100mbps connection shared between 300 people? ROFL! Who the hell knows how much transfer you'll actually be able to utilize, so offering a set amount makes far more sense in that environment.

This is the kind of stuff real hosts who don't oversell have to think about every time they provision and populate a new server.

If it is in the rules as not allowed, simply ban the word, period.

Then the determined will just change it to "no limit", "without limits" etc. At least seeing the word unlimited jumps right out at you and is more easily spotted fast. Just continue to report them if you see them before we do.

Then the determined will just change it to "no limit", "without limits" etc. At least seeing the word unlimited jumps right out at you and is more easily spotted fast. Just continue to report them if you see them before we do.

I fail to see how changing the word from unlimited to "no limits" would solve anything, it still would not exist and still be against the rules. Just ban the word and not dance around the topic with other words that will just lead to more discussions. If we have to report and subsequently complain about another word for unlimited, then where is the progress?

I mean those who try to offer unlimited would change the wording to mean the same if we censored it.

I understand that, but what is the difference in the following 2 "offers"

Unlimited Webspace
Unlimited Bandwidth
No Limit Webspace
No Limit Transfer

They are the same as there is a limit. Instead of complaining about "Unlimited" offers, all that will happen will be complaints on "No Limit" offers. Point being, there is a limit so simply change "Unlimited" to "---------".

----, ---- and ----- are all censored, hell even ---------------- is censored, Unlimited should be too.

As I said, I'm willing to try it, but I think the objections posted by wswd and Jan are very convincing. The benefit of removing the word unlimited is limited. The abusers will simply replace it with some other similar word, like "no limit". Then we've gained very little with the change as we can't filter the word "limit". And the offer will have to be removed in any case.

As I said, I'm willing to try it, but I think the objections posted by wswd and Jan are very convincing. The benefit of removing the word unlimited is limited. The abusers will simply replace it with some other similar word, like "no limit". Then we've gained very little with the change as we can't filter the word "limit". And the offer will have to be removed in any case.

If thats the case, then I think we will need to have more people to do the thread deletion work, or someone to stay online most of the time to do so...
:)

Back