• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Computer goes back to version 98??

agent smith

Hello,

I have a windows XP computer. Packard Bell.

problem is, my computer keeps switching its theme to windows 98! It does the automatically and the start bar ect changes from the XP blue to the 98 grey. It changes back but the blue bar at the top of any open program (e.g msn top bar) remains grey
( You can view this grey by going control panel > display > Appernace > Classic XP Style).
I have tried restarting ect doesnt do anything. Also used the display in control panel but that didnt work.
Thanks
Matt

Screen shot:-
http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5526/problemkn5.gif

maybe this would help:
try to use StyleXP Trial (tgtsoft.com) to switch the skin... maybe it will work!

Hi, yes that works but it still randomly changes. I also cannot here any sound.

I got control panel > Sounds and devises it says "No Audio Deices". I can here sound (miscoroft defualt) but none other e.g msn ect.

I got control panel > Sounds and devises it says "No Audio Deices". I can here sound (miscoroft defualt) but none other e.g msn ect.

I have that problem aswell. Its quite strange to i use my laptop for music ect.

uninstall it! It has spyware..

about the randomly change, disable theme rotation in the stylexp.

@nugu: "uninstall it! It has spyware.." you mean stylexp has a spyware? i've been using it for years, i'm also using ZoneAlarm and there is never any traffic between StyleXP with any server.

I think this happens because when you are taking up a lot of resources, it changes to relieve some of that stress. I know it used to happen to me whenever I ran too many things at once. But it is strange and doesn't sound like a good reason. Are you up-to-date with updates?

Get the program from Stardock. Windows Blinds. It has no spyware. Also, do not format your computer unless you have an installation disk. You can get recovery discs from the manufacturer. Check your computer for spyware by running Adaware, Spybot, AVG Anti-Spyware, and have protection like Spyware Blaster in your arsenal.

XTheme works for WindowsXP (And it's supposed to be spyware free), but yes... it's supposed to go back to classic, otherwise themes won't load for it. Your image there isn't in classic view. Classic view is shown in the below picture.

Attachments

• ClassicXP.gif
    ClassicXP.gif
    7.7 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
bring up display options hit appearance then under windows and buttons select windows xp style.
dont end svchost either.

Last edited:
about the randomly change, disable theme rotation in the stylexp.

@nugu: "uninstall it! It has spyware.." you mean stylexp has a spyware? i've been using it for years, i'm also using ZoneAlarm and there is never any traffic between StyleXP with any server.

oh, strange.. I must have installed a dodgey version..

Backup everything, then reinstall - you have big issues with your GUI and audio card; which the Packard Bell disks will fix.

You have Windows XP on a Packard Bell? You should probably look at upgrading your PC. Packard Bell went out of business back in the '90's.

- Lucas

Saw a very old packard bell running XP not too long ago @ work and boy was I shocked.

348mHz with 64mb of memory. Took a picture of the screen just to prove it was possible.

See Me

Back