• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

cPanel For Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Are Looking For Beta Testers

That is interesting, I'm not sure it'll work that well though, cPanel has always been very resource hungry, but because unix kernels are good at handling large loads it's never really mattered, I'm not sure they'll have the same success with a windows based kernel ..... like to see it though ....

I think the major plus they have here is that they already have such a strong base of cpanel hosts. Opening the windows market for them is really a huge leap in my eyes.

It was sort of coming though, look at plesk.

Yup, sounds good, it will surly be helpful for those who don't know windows that well.

Don't think cPanel will be much stable to use Live on Windows. The two builds are totally different, an as krakjoe said, the Unix kernel can handle large load, but case is different with windows.

But who knows, they might have a completely different cPanel for windows which is not-so-resource-hungry as the Unix one is.

we are actually testing windows based hosting now, and about ready to wrap it up. www.dotnetpanel.com is the one we are trying out and so far it is absolutely beautiful. I'll be 100% honest, I have never been a huge fan of linux to begin with and after getting this system up and running and testing it out I have no idea why I started with linux in the first place. Everything runs so smooth and there is no compromise and/or screwing around with anything.

I run windows 2003 on my game server machines and I all of them have been running for 1-2 years without a hitch, blip or anything negative. On the contrary with the linux machines they just like to flake off for no reason.

we are actually testing windows based hosting now, and about ready to wrap it up. www.dotnetpanel.com is the one we are trying out and so far it is absolutely beautiful. I'll be 100% honest, I have never been a huge fan of linux to begin with and after getting this system up and running and testing it out I have no idea why I started with linux in the first place. Everything runs so smooth and there is no compromise and/or screwing around with anything.

I run windows 2003 on my game server machines and I all of them have been running for 1-2 years without a hitch, blip or anything negative. On the contrary with the linux machines they just like to flake off for no reason.

Windows cost lot more than Linux.

If Linux would be charged even half the windows rate, it would be better in every aspect. The developers are not doing this for money.

Though, Windows developers are doing it, and thus they have a high price licenses.

sure windows is $30/mo extra or no extra charge depending on who you are with (softlayer.com for us)

However dotnetpanel is $190 ONE TIME (250 domains) where cpanel is $25/mo

dotnetpanel also includes smartermail/smarterstats/smarterticket/integrated billing

windows server cost:
windows license $30/mo
billing $0/mo
helpdesk $0/mo
---------
$30/mo

cpanel server cost:
OS License $0/mo
billing/helpdesk (whmcs) $25/mo
Cpanel License $25/mo
---------
$50/mo

that scenario INCLUDES if windows costs $30/mo. In our case it did not, so which is the more expensive one?

It just depends on what your clients prefer, cPanel or dotnetpanel or Plesk or else.

P.S> You missed this "billing/helpdesk (whmcs) $25/mo" It costs $10 when bought from a reseller.

So, here in this scenario, I would prefer to go with client's requirements than my personal preference :D

Also, if you don't want to spend anything on helpdesk, I would say using some free script, there are many scripts as well as there are many web hosts using them.

N offense, just the facts:)

most clients have no idea what plesk, cpanel, dotnetpanel, helm, blah blah is. All they want is their website up 100% of the time without a hitch. Currently we are using Hsphere and the argument of "I NEEEEEEED cpanel" is squashed upon first login. However if you plan to only sell to freewebspace people then grab the first overselling reseller account you can find and it better have cpanel and you better charge under $3/mo and accept egold and moneybookers.

If you had a choice to be with a host that had 99.9% uptime and had a panel you were not requesting, but does the same thing, or would you rather be with a host that has 98% uptime but has cpanel?

Windows also has ASP.net, exchange, MSSQL database support. Linux does not. Linux can have BASIC asp.net support but it is not pretty.

helpdesk is not about cost it just happens to be included in the package I am getting. free helpdesks do not offer near the functionality that I or most anyone would need. smarterticket and kayako do.

also your argument about whmcs being $10/mo is fine. that brings your total down to $35/mo...still $5 more than windows

point is that cost has nothing to do with windows setups. It has to do with people thinking centos and cpanel is the only way to do hosting because that is what eveyone here says to do. I've used in a production environment Plesk (windows), Cpanel, HSphere, and soon to be dotnetpanel. Plesk and dotnet seem to be the best of the best and don't randomly break.

Well, I'm not argueing with you or doing a favour of Linux.

I'm saying that Linux is free and Windows is paid, so don't expect everything thats in Windows is in cPanel as well.

And I do prefer clients than money, paying few extra bucks is fine if the clients are happy....

Back