• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Datacenters

cobrastrike

What is your motivation besides pricing when you look at a particular datacenter?

From first glance to continuing service, what makes you choose one over another?

Network > Hardware > Price.
If you go for price first, most likely you will stay for the cheap options. And not all cheap providors are good.

1. Quality of network.
  2. Location
  3. Quality of servers.
  4. Price

Location is a big one for me as I do not care to have servers in certain areas.

I would also say something REALLY important to consider is the remote hands fee per hour ;)

Support
Network
Optional Extras
Varity/Security
Hardware
Price

Price comes last for me. Its one of the most unimportant factors of deciding about a DataCenter.

the more important something is to you the less price should matter as a rule of thumb, and the dc is the bedrock of your business ;)

Their reputation with customers, their downtime, their server quality, their reviews, their location, their ping times...

not quite in that order, but you get the idea.

While pricing is important, the DC is by far one of the most important decisions you'll be making. If you make the wrong decision, it could screw up your entire business.

We chose ours by:

1. Location
2. Network
3. Support
4. Value of the servers in relation to the top 3

Hi!
Even with all that said and done..it still boggles my mind when a host has a certain affection for one single datacenter..and puts most (if not all) of their servers there.

It makes no sense at all.

Just for David: The point: Putting all your eggs in one basket is bad.
Understand the differences between low cost and high end datacenters:

Remote OS reloads
KVM access
Remote hands access
SAC access
Private VPN access

Bryon

In terms of the NETWORK for the Datacenter I assume you are talking the backbone providers. I would assume most people would want a datacenter with at least 4 different providers for said connections.

For the HANDS ON, what to you is a good fee and do you think a datacenter that DOES NOT charge extra for hands-on time for servers that are not colocated is a scam?

Location. Which location is a prime one to you?

Hardware. Does this play a big role in your descision? Many datacenters out there choose DELL as their provider for servers and either CISCO or 3COM for networking equipment. Would you be turned off to a datacenter if they did not use those particular brands but still could offer quality machines?

SUPPORT: What do you look for in support? The promise of 24/7 for some datacenters is hollow and unrealistic until they become much larger of an operation. Would this be a turn off for you if they still responded in a timely matter. How long is too long until response time for you? Which hours do you think that you should be able to reach someone right then and there?

Hi!
In terms of network...I am concerned with upload/download speeds..which vary greatly. Even certain NOCs who claim 1GB connection to the server have very poor speeds in reality. I can't tell you a magic formula...this is something you will learn with time and practice. International peering issues come to play for many hosts with international clients.

I like the idea of having remote hands. I have only one server in a NOC with this..but think this is a good thing to have. I have several servers that have many advanced features and have used them all in the last few days.

As expected, some did not quite work as advertised. I did want to see which ones did work as advertised and which ones did not beforehand.

Location: No one location is prime for me. I will admit most are on the East coast-it was not planned-it just happened to work out that way. I have servers in many different NOCs across the country..which is exactly the way I wanted it.

Hardware: It is a given most Networking gear is Cisco or Juniper..you have little say in that. I actually prefer Supermicro although Dell is very good as well. I am fully aware of certain NOCs that use consumer-level kit and try and pass them off as commercial-grade servers.

Support: I have been impressed with most support. This is something you will learn with time. If you are concerned about reaching a tech at 3AM at the NOC..by all means..give them a call. I have. ;)

And with that...I'm back to bed.

Bryon

Back