• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Design stealing/duplication

ace2010

i tired to see webmasters to copy/duplicate my websites

the latest one

my site freehostingnoads.net

and the copy cat
mosthostings dot com

he have not change almost anything

does this happen to you often ?
and what can i do for stop it ?

we've had a lot of people copy our designs, hence why we try to add slight enhancements to make it our own again!

In our business, it is not too often. I personally may advise performing anti-copying campaign in the internet. The complete freedom of creativity. But usually it doesn't influence the business much. As much as content copying. Often practiced by webmasters from abroad.

I would love to see someone copy my designs. :) Its always interested as I hide some needed files and then it looks like crap on their site.
Plus, I can always just sue the person stealing my designs as it is copyrighted under my company (Cross Industries, LLC)

I would love to see someone copy my designs. :) Its always interested as I hide some needed files and then it looks like crap on their site.
Plus, I can always just sue the person stealing my designs as it is copyrighted under my company (Cross Industries, LLC)

If they were a good design thief, it would not be hard for them to locate your "hidden" files and copy those too.

If they were a good design thief, it would not be hard for them to locate your "hidden" files and copy those too.

Then at that point, if I found out who was accessing my server via logfiles to steal my design, I'd just wait until the design popped up on the net, and who put it there, then just DMCA it or sue them. Like its been said many times before, you can do all you want to protect your design, people can still steal it.

It often happen in my company. The competitor copy our website layout even our promotion.

Think from the other way, people copy our idea/design because we are the leader of the market. No doubts, there is risk if the immediator copy and do better than us. But, if we are the innovator, we are still the leader.

design copying is the sign of lack of the personal creativity and funds to hire a good designer. We do not face it often but being a branded TM thopse who copy us would harm themselves by loosing indiviuality, and, possbly, some money.

Nobody can copy/steal your design if you use server based languages like PHP... if you site is HTML, yeah, you're out of luck.

Agree about brand names. Copying the branded design is the harm for those who do it. Overall copying is not a crime, but it only shows incompetence of the person.

i have had about 10+ designs ripped. it happens. file DMCA and move on. no point in dwelling on it or getting worked up. you will just cause yourself more stress than what is needed in your life. on the same hand, take it as a compliment that they liked it enough to try to steal it. they say the bests artists take something from someone else and improve on it to make it their own. :p

@JackRT
lol, really? php has nothing to do with design. thanks for the laugh though. :)

In different times I have noticed some sites which appeared to look like clones, being though completely independent from each other. Though I do not think this is a really big problem, unless you are a copyright maniac. This is not possible to be prevented, it is only reasonable to make really hard-to-copy stuff.

Yeah they can! They might not be able to view the source code for the scripts that you're running, but the design can still be copied.

I have a pure Flash website... how can you copy/steal the design?

Not trying to be mean :) Legitimate question...

i would normally be a d!ck here and ask you a really smartass question making you feel stupid, but, you are asking a real question and i feel i should actually inform you on what can be done. so, here it goes. there are tools to save the flash and use a decompiler to make it editable again. there, design stolen. hope you re-think what you are saying in light of this information. :)

**edit**
this would probably even do the trick itself...
http://www.flashdecompiler.net/use_free_flash_decompiler.htm

Last edited:
I have a pure Flash website... how can you copy/steal the design?

Not trying to be mean :) Legitimate question...

yes, it is possible.
iBrightDev showed u an example,
and there is tons on flash decompiler available for free.
guess what? full flash sites design is easier to steal than php/html sites.

forticro organisma

i would normally be a d!ck here and ask you a really smartass question making you feel stupid, but, you are asking a real question and i feel i should actually inform you on what can be done. so, here it goes. there are tools to save the flash and use a decompiler to make it editable again. there, design stolen. hope you re-think what you are saying in light of this information. :)

**edit**
this would probably even do the trick itself...
http://www.flashdecompiler.net/use_free_flash_decompiler.htm

WOW... I had no idea... in fact, I kept going back to the main.fla file to make changes & publish the flash file... I will give this a try and see if it's easier than what I have been doing...

Thank you for not making me cry btw :biggrin2:

Back