• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

difference of virtualisation software ??

The Crasher

ok guys , this is maybe a intresting topic :d

i was wondering what the best vps software is ??

is it Xen ?
is it XenServer
is it virtuozo ?
is it openVZ
is it vmware ??
or is it something els ??

at this moment i tryed differend things out

Xen
-------
i tryed Xen out and it worked nice , exept that it is hard to manage/install and that there are some big bugs in it , like restarting the server goes to a kernel panic atk
for the rest you cant oversell so you need to see what you give to other users

with windows is it posseble to manage your own swap file so you can drive up your swap to 4GB with no problem (depends from hd you have :D)

then virtuozo
----------
i tryed that before and it doesnt allocate anything , so perfect for overselling a lot of things , just keep selling until you run out of space , for the rest there isnt a limit on (even on space not if i am right)

the ram you get is never dedicated , its just pure virtual ram (pagefile by windows)

and you cant change the pagefile in windows , its locked

then XenServer
-------------
its based on Xen but with a stripped os/install
so far i use that stuff and it works just ... perfect , server stays stable
it use his own ram that it needs to run stable and it allocate it to the others so you get what you need
and you can deside your own amount of swap :D with no problem
so for this moment i choose for XenServer

then you got vmware
-----------
i dint tryed vm ware out on a dedi pc , but i tryed it out on my own comp and it is giving me a lot of trouble :S
first i need to create new users , then the website is doing difficult and so on
after the install , then i just deleted it , seems to hard to complete figure it out how it all works

i know that you can oversell to with vmware like virtuozo , it takes the mem from a other vps to give you the max amount if the comp run outs of mem ( so 3 packages with 4GB ram is perfect posseble with 4GB ram on the server
exept that 2 users dont going have ram left if the first 1 use the 4GB ram , calling memory swapping)

thats all i tryed so far , if any1 got a good solution or maybe a suggestion or maybe the perfect solution , then let me know it please

Thank you
Greets From The Crasher

When you're saying VMware, are you talking about ESXi: Bare Metal Hypervisor. I know in a corporate environment, it really stands out in terms of performance but I don't think it was really meant for VPS.

One important thing you might want to consider is the availability of control panels for those systems.

Xen and virtuozo have both a control panel (hypervm for admin/clients)

XenServer have 1 admin panel you can run on your comp , for the rest it doesnt have a user panel

vmware have a web based control panel for admin/clients

for the bare metal version of vmware :S i dint tryed that out because i love XenServer at this moment :D and because i dint want to pay for the setup costs to get it installed on my server ^^

how less control panels are avaible how stabler the system (i guess , running 6 vps servers now with out a single problem)

every time you use a control panel then you notice a cpu lagspike or something els
so if you got 10 clients on 1 pc and they press all at the same time the backup/restart button ... you realy dont want to know what will happends ^^

if some1 got more information about vmware (bare metal version) then please explain it to me , because i cant find good support topics on the homepage of vm ware :s

Thank you
Greets From The Crasher

I suggest you watch the related episode of hak5 over at hak5.org. They have made a few episode on ESXi and explained the whole install and what not process. The most important feature of ESXi is it's footprint which is minimal compared to other virtualisation software/OS. However, I am unsure if it would be fit to use it in an hosting environment.

I don't think VMWare ESXi is meant for VPS hosting as it has no way for an end user to hard reboot or reinstall their operating system.

I recommend Xen, OpenVZ (Open source version of virtuozzo) or Virtuozzo as they have the best support at the moment.

Before looking into any of these, you may want to check your multiple WHMCS "licenses" against this: http://www.whmcs.com/members/verifydomain.php ;).

[JSH]John;1070220 said:
I don't think VMWare ESXi is meant for VPS hosting as it has no way for an end user to hard reboot or reinstall their operating system.

I recommend Xen, OpenVZ (Open source version of virtuozzo) or Virtuozzo as they have the best support at the moment.

Before looking into any of these, you may want to check your multiple WHMCS "licenses" against this: http://www.whmcs.com/members/verifydomain.php ;).
VMware is perfect for VPS Hosting. See a live implementation at LeaseWeb. Its partly expensive because of the licensing cost of the server and management panel (whooping $2k just for the management panel).

The worst platform would be OpenVZ/Virtuozzo. I have used both of them in the past and it couldn't have gotten any worse. OpenVZ highly unstable (can't blame them as it is not meant for production). Virtuozzo, too expensive for a piece of crappy software. Avoid it all costs. Its not even true virtualization! Its like the BSD jails.

XenServer. We are using this right now. True virtualization through HVM. Just how VPS are meant to be. The same is also offered by VMware, but the XenServer is now free :) Use libvirt and wrap a neat control panel and you have the smoothest and most stable virtual hosting platform!

I'm giving my reviews from 6+ months experience with each software mentioned in my post.

Back