• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Do you use linux?

is it really hard to use redhat? i'm thinking of installing it when my PC comes bacK":p

iyeru42 said:
That contradicts your Custom Title. :p But oh well... at least it's good to have a sense of humor.

Oh.... crap.... My secret cover as a blubbering idiot has been blown :D

I still keep hearing that Linux is harder than Windows. I don't get it. It is different but not harder.

The command line ( or cli )? Nope. Easy. Exhaustive collection of tools but nearly all have comprehesive help available.

I run Linux 99% of the time. Both on a home server and on my desktops/laptop. (1 server, 3 desktops, 1 laptop, too many wires) I find it far easier to hook Linux boxes together than it is Windows boxen. But I have been using Mandrake/Mandriva since early 2000. Of the four distros I tried it was the only one to completely install. Tried BestLinux 2000, RedHat 5.2, then SuSE via ftp (joke even on cable) then Madrake 8.0. Been stuck with it ever since.
At first I dual booted. Still do occasionally. MechWarrior3 and Gunship don't run under Cedega. :p My wife even hates XP due to unfamiliararity (sp?). She is the poster child for CIA (Computer Illiterates Anonymous).

So if you are totally unfamiliar with *nix, yeah Linux will be a learning curve as far as the CLI is concerned. But how many people really know how to use ALL of the capabilities in MS Word? Not very many at all. OpenOffice is not different. Firefox vs. IE is the same situation. gftp vs. wsftp? They are all just apps. Created by different people and therefore inherently different. Most Windows proggies are the exact same way. Different creators, different ways of doing the same tasks. So I say that Linux and Windows require the same level of knowledge to USE.

Linux as a server needs more typing skills and Windows needs more clicky skills. Linux has some clicky admin stuff. Not including cPanel or its competitors you have Webmin. Far more comprehensive than cPanel/WHM ever will be as far as general system maintainence goes. For a shared webhosting environment, go with a 'panel'. It would be far too involved to do it by hand. Possible, but a major PITA. But if you want an easy clicky way to setup NFS or quotas, Webmin. IF something breaks, you have my personal favorite tweak tool, mc. Editor and filemanager all rolled into one. Fast and simple.

For the most part, these are my own personal opinions and therefore subject to change. For the rest, they are facts and therefore subject to my opinions. :lol:

Garfield+ said:
is it really hard to use redhat? i'm thinking of installing it when my PC comes bacK":p

Red Hat is a non-free version. But if you want a free version of Red Hat, get Fedora Core.

If anyone wants something similar to KNOPPIX but can actually RUN without using the ramdisk when booting, use Gentoo or Kubuntu.

I still keep hearing that Linux is harder than Windows. I don't get it. It is different but not harder.

The command line ( or cli )? Nope. Easy. Exhaustive collection of tools but nearly all have comprehesive help available.

I run Linux 99% of the time. Both on a home server and on my desktops/laptop. (1 server, 3 desktops, 1 laptop, too many wires) I find it far easier to hook Linux boxes together than it is Windows boxen. But I have been using Mandrake/Mandriva since early 2000. Of the four distros I tried it was the only one to completely install. Tried BestLinux 2000, RedHat 5.2, then SuSE via ftp (joke even on cable) then Madrake 8.0. Been stuck with it ever since.
At first I dual booted. Still do occasionally. MechWarrior3 and Gunship don't run under Cedega. My wife even hates XP due to unfamiliararity (sp?). She is the poster child for CIA (Computer Illiterates Anonymous).

So if you are totally unfamiliar with *nix, yeah Linux will be a learning curve as far as the CLI is concerned. But how many people really know how to use ALL of the capabilities in MS Word? Not very many at all. OpenOffice is not different. Firefox vs. IE is the same situation. gftp vs. wsftp? They are all just apps. Created by different people and therefore inherently different. Most Windows proggies are the exact same way. Different creators, different ways of doing the same tasks. So I say that Linux and Windows require the same level of knowledge to USE.

Linux as a server needs more typing skills and Windows needs more clicky skills. Linux has some clicky admin stuff. Not including cPanel or its competitors you have Webmin. Far more comprehensive than cPanel/WHM ever will be as far as general system maintainence goes. For a shared webhosting environment, go with a 'panel'. It would be far too involved to do it by hand. Possible, but a major PITA. But if you want an easy clicky way to setup NFS or quotas, Webmin. IF something breaks, you have my personal favorite tweak tool, mc. Editor and filemanager all rolled into one. Fast and simple.

For the most part, these are my own personal opinions and therefore subject to change. For the rest, they are facts and therefore subject to my opinions.

We didn't want your whole life story.

I just tried to put my opinion in perspective. After all, if I simply said "Linux isn't harder than Windows. It is just the user that makes it seem that way." It would come off as sounding snobish and stuck up.

Besides, I am trying to get my post count up here on FWS. Well, at least word count. :p

Once upon a time, I purchased a network card to connect my computer to my kids computer so we could share a single (dial-up) internet connection.

This particular NIC came with a CD containing some version of Turbolinux. I had never heard of Linux before, so I did a bit of AltaVistaing (I had never heard of Google before, at that time, either... I'm not sure if Google even existed then) and became intrigued at the possibilities.
An operating system that doesn't crash three times daily and doesn't cost anything??? Rediculous!

So I filed the CD away with the rest of my useless stuff.

Some time later, a hardware upgrade became more or less necessary for various reasons which are not relevant, but DID leave me with a functional PC that I had no use for... So why not? I installed TurboLinux on it and played around with it a bit.

OK... It did stuff, it was amazingly stable, it came with an awesome selection of software, but it was not at all what I was used to so I pretty much shelved it.

Some time later, I saw a boxed set of Mandrake 7.2 at an office supply store, and thought, maybe a commercially packaged Linux system would have more bells and whistles. Maybe it would be easier to get used to.
So I bought it, installed it on my old PC and tinkered some more.
Not bad! I started using it more often.

Then I discovered that Linux can set up a hard disc so that it can dual boot Windows and Linux on the same machine. Meanwhile, Mandrake 8.0 was released, so I bought that, and in a moment of (for me) incredible bravado, I repartitioned the hard disc on my newer machine and set up a dual boot system.

I started using Linux more often and kept upgrading as newer versions were released. I found that Linux kept getting more and more polished, while Windows just developed more annoyances.

Eventually I downloaded a copy of SuSe 9.0... Just to try different distributions... I was in love!

It took some time to adapt. Linux does not work the same way as Windows. It's not harder, but it IS different and one must unlearn many things while learning many other things.

I'm now running SuSe 10.0 and no longer have Windows on my PC at all.

My son also got disgusted with Windows quirks and had me remove it and install Linux on his PC... He and his wife both love it and when they recently purchased a new PC, step #1 was reformat to remove Windows, and install Linux.

My wife and my daughter still run Windows XP, but are slowly realizing what a nuisance it is trying to keep malware out.

I'm working on them. :)

kroboto said:
cPanel/WHM

People still use that piece of junk?? Oh yeah, cuz it's so cheap, right? Seriously, use a real Panel, like Hsphere.. or Webmin, I like Webmin :D

I use Linux (Trustix) on servers, and XP at pc. Let's face it, you gotta have XP to support the 99.999% of your clients that use it. You have to be able to see things exactly as they are seeing them.

Back