• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Do you use linux?

Antonio

RicherMan.Com
NLC
I bought FC 4 to try a new system, but it seems too hard for newer to manage.

anyone here is using linux etc?

I use linux but only at school, our departmnt doesn't seem to like Microsoft. It was a bit frustrating at first but I got used to it, coming to like it now.

I dont use linux as the operating system of my local computers.
But the OS or my dedicated server is linux. ;)

I have learnt some linux command as I use linux hosting. but it is hard to manage the whole server.

You do know Fedora Core 4 is free right? Hope you didnt pay much...

I use it on occasion, but I am still a Windows OS guy for my personal computers.

None
As I have not installed in my PC but in the school's computer.

It works but I am not familiar with the linux command, that's why I give it up :(

I'll install it in my PC when I buy a new one ;)

lol, I would never pay for linux :p
just keep at it... but you can even get FC 5 for free because it's out or will be out soon :p

I dual-booted XP and Ubuntu before my PSU in my desktop exploded. I'm a big fan of Ubuntu. I've also used Slackware, Red Hat (7), and FreeBSD (which isn't linux, but it's close). I've tried installing Solaris 8 too, although I never got it working properly (I was trying to install it on a junker though, nothing fancy. I barely got Win98 on it).

I found Fedora Core 3 quite hard to use as a desktop, mostly because of their policy of not pre-including anything non-OSS. It also had a lot of USB mounting issues for me, though that may be fixed by now. Anyhow I was happy to delete it.

Mepis is my desktop OS, I love it for having nearly everything configured as I want it at the completion of the easiest imaginable install, and for just not getting in my way on anything. One might call it debian for dummies. I tried Kubuntu (not regular ubuntu since I loathe gnome) and it was okay, but I had some configuration issues and since it's debian-derived it seemed like an overcomplicated way to do all the same stuff as Mepis. Tried Mandrake 10 a couple years ago, it was okay but had the same issues most distros had for me (some do-it-yourself non-OSS installs, USB). I plan to try SUSE on a spare partition soon since I've heard good things of it, actually attempted a 10.1 RC install but it didn't go well (I guess I'll wait for 10.1 final).

Antonio said:
It works but I am not familiar with the linux command, that's why I give it up :(

I'm allergic to the command line myself. Luckily my VPS (which runs Red Hat Enterprise) has WHM/CPanel so I rarely need to use SSH, though I do from time to time... servers will inevitably require learning to use a shell.

On my desktop though, I can't think of any real need to use a shell. Sometimes I use it for a quick chmod, but I could do that with a konqueror root session (alt+f2 then kdesu konqueror, or just making a shortcut to kdesu konqueror).

Last edited:
I have the discs to Redhat 9 installed on my laptop, but I never use it.

In fact, you've inspired me, I'm removing it.

Mr. Johnson said:
I have the discs to Redhat 9 installed on my laptop, but I never use it.

In fact, you've inspired me, I'm removing it.

I agree with stuffradio, why do you want to Remove it? Linux has always been free btw people. It's just redhat or others you buy at stores come with documentation... and that's about it really.

I use linux kubuntu (ubuntu with the kde desktop insttalled) 95% of the time. I have a pc 3 feet from this one with xp on it and xp on my notebook but I perfer to use linux.

Back