• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Domains and hosting ownership and digital belonging research

SiberForum

Making a sort of research we are going to know the people's behavior while using hosting and domain names.

Few questions to ask:
Do you often register domains and buy hosting at the same place or prefer to separate these services?

Is there any difference for you to use hosting provider for domain registration or registrar to host with? If yes, which type of co-operation with providers do you prefer?

Do you often transfer your domains instead of changing nameservers? Which cases are making necessity for you to do transfer?

Knowing nothing of the potential provider, will its head business (domains or hosting) matter for you? I mean, when the company is mostly a registrar (or host) offering also hosting (domains) services.

So, please take a few minutes to answer these questions, to enable us become more accurate when performing any marketing and providing services.

Thanks in advance

Some hosting providers offer free domain when sign up the hosting package. Since there is free domain registration, I do not see the reason of register the domain separately.

One concern when register the domain name is that, the domain ownership. Some domain providers register the domains without requesting the information from the owner and they register the domain based on their company information. When the domain owner noticed it, they will transfer their domain to another domain provider who are more sincere.

As a private person I prefer staring with domains and only then I buy hosting. Usually the domains are got from domain registrars, which are accredited (not resellers) while hosting comes from hosts. Usually it is no point merging domains and hosting using nameservers change instead.

Thanks for the replies, but would you mind answering certain questions directly?

Actually this forums appears to have rather weak activity... why?

As per our customers, majority of customers register domain though us.

There are only few customers on changing host, transfer full domain name, they normally change name servers.

Almost 30% customers register domain from other side and buy hosting from you.

Normally such customers prefer domains to buy some ICANN accredited registrar.

Do you often register domains and buy hosting at the same place or prefer to separate these services? - Never buy domains and hosting combined, just my preference to use the same domain registrars I've used for years.

Is there any difference for you to use hosting provider for domain registration or registrar to host with? If yes, which type of co-operation with providers do you prefer? - Don't use but if I did it would be registrar with hosting services option.

Do you often transfer your domains instead of changing nameservers? Which cases are making necessity for you to do transfer? - Never, I have changed registrar at renewal, but never because of host change (one of the main reasons I keep them separate)

Knowing nothing of the potential provider, will its head business (domains or hosting) matter for you? I mean, when the company is mostly a registrar (or host) offering also hosting (domains) services. - Yes

Questions could do with a little tidy up though as I had to read a couple of them a couple of times to make sure I was answering the right question :)

1) i prefer at the same place so i would not miss out to renew my domain and hosting at the same time. When it cause any issues, i do not need to contact both place to help me solve the problem.
2) It would not be different but which giving the most uptime and better service then i will go with which one. Registrar or registration are not huge affect the decision.
3) I prefer to transfer domain because old domain seem useful to me and able to bring organic traffic to my website. Even i get a new domain , i also try to park it up together to bring the maximum traffic to my site but need to decide which will use on the main domain.
4) for me i feel that go with both domain and hosting together would be better, atleast they know what i want and do not throw me everywhere when some service that they do not provide and i need to look for myself.

Iv used mydomain.com for years, simply because I like to keep everything in the one spot, id never trust a "host" with domain reg.

Thanks for the answering, guys. It is really useful to have this information right from the first hands, making more accurate researches.

As I may see from the replies, people which are making their business wholly upon the internet, and have webmaster experienced prefer separated domains and hosting, while the mass of other people, who just reg domains for making the virtual presence of their offline business and increase accessibility do not take care about where the domain are registered. Just like I have expected to be.

Also to say, accredited domain registrars also more popular among webmasters than hosting providers with the same service, being just a domain reseller.

I personally do not see any reasons to mistrust the hosts with the domains, providing they are reliable ones, but I also think getting domains and hosting separated when domains come from the registrar, and hosting - from hosts, is more reasonable way making some more insurance for all the online issues.

Thanks everyone who desired to be informative. Thread is to be continued.

P.S.
Because of all the generic bot replies that get posted all over the place on a daily basis.

Should I understand this as some indirect pointing to some of your previous messages about "bots", Mr. Deeplist?

Mind sharing your expectation?

Don't mind. Higher activity was expected.

Should I understand this as some indirect pointing to some of your previous messages about "bots", Mr. Deeplist?

Yes, because of all the bot-like replies that you've been posting around here these days. "Do a google search to find a reputable host." "I suggest you take a look at customer reviews to determine if the host is reliable." "In my experience, it's best to choose a time-tested host."

Please tell me how you can blame people for believing that you're a bot when you post the same generic replies over and over and over again?

Please tell me how you can blame people for believing that you're a bot when you post the same generic replies over and over and over again?

I think this question is over now. I am not going to behave this way anymore.

Back