• Howdy! Welcome to our community of more than 130.000 members devoted to web hosting. This is a great place to get special offers from web hosts and post your own requests or ads. To start posting sign up here. Cheers! /Peo, FreeWebSpace.net
managed wordpress hosting

Expert? Come In Please!

bigfiles

OK, im enough of those big file hosting sites for their slow upload and download speed! Therefor, i intend to bulid a very fast speed file host site myself and offer for free to the world. I want it to be able to let a minimum of 5k users to perform upload and download at the same time with a very fast connection speed (3000Kilobits/Sec). so can any expert here tell me what's the Best Requirement (such as OS, Ram, HD, bandwidth & etc... ) or a server for this?

BigFiles,

Very fast speed? On a 3000kbps connection (3mbps)? Your need at least a 100mbps connection, and even then, it wont be able to handle that many visitors.

Another thing - with that many visitors, your going to need more than one single server. Your going to need a minimum of 3 - so you can share the load over them.

For 5,000 users at a time, downloading and uploading, I would say you need a minimum of 2 of the following servers:

Dual - Dual Core Intel Xeon 3.x
8GB RAM
2x500GB Hard Drive
FreeBSD 6.x
Tier 1 Bandwidth - 100mbps Unmetered Dedicated Connection (Not shared)

Your looking at about $1,600 per, therefore $3,200 for the 2 per month.

wOw... file hosting can be tricky.... you need so much dedicated bandwidth that would cost a bomb....

$3,200 for 2 servers per month? Are you crazy? The highest price i seen on your site only $269.00/month and so does that mean the type of server can only accept 1 user at a time or else it will corrupt? Or u might be a scammer!

$3,200 for 2 servers per month? Are you crazy? The highest price i seen on your site only $269.00/month and so does that mean the type of server can only accept 1 user at a time or else it will corrupt? Or u might be a scammer!

Thats because the servers on our site do not have an unmetered connection on a 100mbps connection. Thats where the cost is, it's $1000-$1300 for the connection.

And no. It does not mean it can only handle 1 user at a time :p The server it's self with no bandwidth limits can handle the 5k users downloading and uploading, but with the limits of that price - Your bandwidth would be gone within the hour (It would nowhere last the month... It would not even last the day)

I suggest you do some homework before calling someone a scammer. Being ignorant is not an excuse.

Tell Me

VPS:
1gb ram
60gb space
1400gb bandwidth

How much traffic will this able to handle at a time?

And how much does this cost?

Last edited:
Depends on the whole vps box. Little if it's a celeron. More if it's a dual xeon for example.

youd be better off looking at a
1Gbps line with FDCservers.net
They sell this for around 699$ the line its self isnt shared but the backbone is overshared They say you can get 100mbps on a 1gbps port server
But the point is you can sometimes when the backbone isnt busy get more than 100mbps so you could get something like 150mbps etc
if the datacenters really slow then you could get more
Good thing to look in to tho
If your going to go 100mbit unmeterd look in to there 1Gbit first!

Just an idea, find source for the VPS within your budget, then ask the supplier the same question.
We could second guess the providers capabilities & promises, but if you get it from them then they have to answer to you if you purchase :)

WTF this forum for! No one know the answer
That's because your not asking the right questions. They're too vague.

It's like asking how many miles can you drive with 10 gallons of gas.
A little if you're driving an SUV, more if you're driving a hybrid.
Less if you drive aggressively, more if you drive like an elderly person.

And that comment was not by anybody who posted in this thread.

Last edited:
Everyone has tried to help by steering you towards the right questions, and you started by accusing someone of being a scammer, the comment could have been anyone reading the thread, but I wouldn't say it isn't all deserved, you seem to want your answers on a plate when a little work on your own would do it as you seem to be the only one that knows what you need - cause you ain't telling any of us...

just a friendly suggestion, if you can afford it get several servers and cluster them together... that'd give you the ultimate file host :)

Back